1999 Passat V6 - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Passat

Passat VW Passat - This is the discussion forum for the VW Passat (VW Passat Forum, Volkswagen Passat Forum, Volkswagen Passat)

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14 Points: 764, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default 1999 Passat V6

First off, it is a v6, not a vr6. I am looking at buying this car, it is an automatic with 130,000 miles on it. The timing belt and water pump have been replaced, and the battery and the alternator. It idles pretty ruff, an doesn't take off( I mean like hold it to the floor and take off like a honda half way to the floor) till you hit 3000 rpms. Even then it doesn't go well. Anyways, I think that it's only running on 4-5 cylinders. When I got done test driving it there was smoke coming from the firewall area, like in between the engine and transmission, it was oil, because it smelled like oil. And he had replaced the valve cover gaskets, I think. Anyways, I was wanting to know what all problems these engines have, if one of the valves might have failed and thats why it isn't running on all cylinders. Or if it just needs new sparkplugs, wires, coils. I just need as much info as possible on this car and engine(the engine has 5 valves per cylinders). Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Posting Elite
Points: 4,510, Level: 42 Points: 4,510, Level: 42 Points: 4,510, Level: 42
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Isn't the VR6 the same thing as a V6? Just throwin that out there.
It sounds like the valve seals are bad, and if only 5 cylinders are running I can only image what caused it.
I would say based off the info valve seals for sure, and most likely spark plugs or the coil pack for the misfire.
  • Firestone Airbags

A.K.A. Chris
Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Default That's what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTMKIv View Post
Isn't the VR6 the same thing as a V6? Just throwin that out there.
It sounds like the valve seals are bad, and if only 5 cylinders are running I can only image what caused it.
I would say based off the info valve seals for sure, and most likely spark plugs or the coil pack for the misfire.
No, it has a big shiny emblem that says "V6" on it. Not vr6, and it has two heads. If the valve seals were bad, wouldn't the smoke be coming out of the exhaust, not up from behind the engine towards the firewall.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Posting Elite
Points: 4,510, Level: 42 Points: 4,510, Level: 42 Points: 4,510, Level: 42
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Hmm. I don't own a passat, so maybe it's just some rare option or something.
You're right about the valve seals. It's pretty easy to check though. I would pull all the plugs and inspect them. You should be able to see oil on 'em if the valve seals are bad.
Maybe it's the piston rings?
  • Firestone Airbags

A.K.A. Chris
Old 06-27-2010, 09:01 PM

First off, thanks for actually trying to help, no one else is... If it was anything like rings or such, wouldn't the smoke be coming out of the exhaust though? I don't know anything about these engines, and I didn't find any threads that talked about a v6.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Posting Master
Points: 6,084, Level: 50 Points: 6,084, Level: 50 Points: 6,084, Level: 50

I see the standard V6s around ATL alot, they are decent motors but not of Vr6 caliber from what I have been told.

I don't know much about them, but I can tell you it is common for plugs wires to fail on older vws and knock out a cylinder -happened twice to me. I would bet the plug or wire is the problem.

As for smoke from burning oil, it could be bad or no big deal. It could be something easy like tightening the oil cooler or a leaky oil pressure sensor. Old motors are going to leak. I guess the smoke is coming through at the heater core penetration perhaps? Plug the firewall back up for sure.

I would take the car to a mechanic if you are serious about it. For 75 bucks they can make real assessment.

Youd be amazed what pressure washing a motor, tightening up the motor bolts to torque spec, cleaning the MAF and intake, replacing the vacuum lines, changing plugs and wires, cleaning and reseating electrical, flushing the coolant, and sea foaming and then changing the oil will do to bring back a rough running motor.

and thats all inexpensive stuff and can be done by a novice at home.

-til I was the one who had to read the meter....

....man.

Last edited by Ninja Please; 06-27-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Please View Post
I see the standard V6s around ATL alot, they are decent motors but not of Vr6 caliber from what I have been told.

I don't know much about them, but I can tell you it is common for plugs wires to fail on older vws and knock out a cylinder -happened twice to me. I would bet the plug or wire is the problem.

As for smoke from burning oil, it could be bad or no big deal. It could be something easy like tightening the oil cooler or a leaky oil pressure sensor. Oil motors are going to leak. I guess the smoke it coming through at the heater core penetration perhaps? Plug the firewaire back up for sure.

I would take the car to a mechanic if you are serious about it. For 75 bucks they can make real assessment.

Youd be amazed what pressure washing a motor, tightening up the motor bolts to torque spec, cleaning the MAF and intake, replacing the vacuum lines, changing plugs and wires, cleaning and reseating electrical, flushing the coolant, and sea foaming and then changing the oil will do to bring back a rough running motor.

and thats all inexpensive stuff and can be done by a novice at home.
Ok, thanks. What is ATL and MAF, oooohh, mass air flow sensor?
I'm just worried that since you don't see many of the v6 30valves around, that they are a bad engine. I'm mostly worried about a failed valve since it has the 5 valves per cylinder.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04passat1.8t View Post
Ok, thanks. What is ATL and MAF, oooohh, mass air flow sensor?
I'm just worried that since you don't see many of the v6 30valves around, that they are a bad engine. I'm mostly worried about a failed valve since it has the 5 valves per cylinder.
Atlanta (ATL) and yes, Mass Air Flow Sensor. Pull the MAF off the intake and soak the entire assembly in isopropyl alcohol in a gallon zip lock bag.

If you can rule out a failed valve or injector then I wouldn't worry too much about the V6 motor platform itself. My gut feeling is you do not see them as much because of the phenominal success of the Vr6 then the 1.8T, 2.0T, TDI, and now the TSI.

The standard V6 is not as fuel efficient at a 1.8T, 2.0T or TDI and the V6 tended to be in larger cars (passat etc) whereas the Vr6 (which is mounted tranverse) was capable of being fit into the smaller Jetta/Golf and therefor it's inefficiencies were masked by a lighter vehicle.

Therefore the V6 is just not as in demand because of the times we live-and not necessarily because it is a bad motor.

....man.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Atlanta (ATL) and yes, Mass Air Flow Sensor. Pull the MAF off the intake and soak the entire assembly in isopropyl alcohol in a gallon zip lock bag.

If you can rule out a failed valve or injector then I wouldn't worry too much about the V6 motor platform itself. My gut feeling is you do not see them as much because of the phenominal success of the Vr6 then the 1.8T, 2.0T, TDI, and now the TSI.

The standard V6 is not as fuel efficient at a 1.8T, 2.0T or TDI and the V6 tended to be in larger cars (passat etc) whereas the Vr6 (which is mounted tranverse) was capable of being fit into the smaller Jetta/Golf and therefor it's inefficiencies were masked by a lighter vehicle.

Therefore the V6 is just not as in demand because of the times we live-and not necessarily because it is a bad motor.
That actually makes a lot of sense, kind a like the v10 diesel that is in the Touareg a few years ago. Not many of them around, because they were really expensive and not good gas mileage, but they were SWEET!

Soak the MAS in rubbing alcohol? You can't just give it a good cleaning with like brake cleaner, or a clean white cloth?

My brother was talking about checking compression in each cylinder to see if the valves arent bad. I could buy it and hope for another idiot like me if it is bad to buy it off of me again, or just take my losses and go with it.....
Old 06-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Posting Master

Quote:
That actually makes a lot of sense, kind a like the v10 diesel that is in the Touareg a few years ago. Not many of them around, because they were really expensive and not good gas mileage, but they were SWEET!

Soak the MAS in rubbing alcohol? You can't just give it a good cleaning with like brake cleaner, or a clean white cloth?

My brother was talking about checking compression in each cylinder to see if the valves arent bad. I could buy it and hope for another idiot like me if it is bad to buy it off of me again, or just take my losses and go with it.....
Yeah, the first V10 Toureg motor was actually made illegal to import by new emissions rules in North America only about a year after it was released -so thats the kiss of death no matter how good it was!!!

Compression check would be awesome. I highly suggest you get a mechanic to run through the car diagnostically before you buy. You don't want a serious lemon. If there are problems that the mechanic can document, you can go back to the owner and get them to adjust their price accordingly.

Good Luck

....man.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the first V10 Toureg motor was actually made illegal to import by new emissions rules in North America only about a year after it was released -so thats the kiss of death no matter how good it was!!!

Compression check would be awesome. I highly suggest you get a mechanic to run through the car diagnostically before you buy. You don't want a serious lemon. If there are problems that the mechanic can document, you can go back to the owner and get them to adjust their price accordingly.

Good Luck
Yeah, they got all pissy because it didn't meet new emissions, after it had already been detuned to meet emissions. lol Wonder how many people built those things......youtube

Yeah, I was thinking about bringing it to a vw dealer and having a full diagnostics, but that's probably pricy. Do you know how much, I'm gonna call tomorrow hopefully and find out.

He is asking 3000 and has said many times that the price is negotiable, or flexible. So 2300....2200....2400....
Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Posting Master

Quote:
Yeah, they got all pissy because it didn't meet new emissions, after it had already been detuned to meet emissions. lol Wonder how many people built those things......youtube

Yeah, I was thinking about bringing it to a vw dealer and having a full diagnostics, but that's probably pricy. Do you know how much, I'm gonna call tomorrow hopefully and find out.

He is asking 3000 and has said many times that the price is negotiable, or flexible. So 2300....2200....2400....
I am against dealership repair centers -super pricey, no relationship building, and they hate to work on cars older than 2-3 years old. Your car would be an annoyance to them

I would find a local independent mechanic with diagnostic equip that lives and breathes stroking an older VW. He has a vested interest in building a loyal customer base.

He should be able to test everything you need to know for 100 dollars IMO

....man.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I am against dealership repair centers -super pricey, no relationship building, and they hate to work on cars older than 2-3 years old. Your car would be an annoyance to them

I would find a local independent mechanic with diagnostic equip that lives and breathes stroking an older VW. He has a vested interest in building a loyal customer base.

He should be able to test everything you need to know for 100 dollars IMO
Yeah, the only problem is that they have all the resources available to fix it, even though it's more expensive. A private shop would be nice, I know of at least one. It is expensive too though, and they charge like 70-80 $ an hour, or more. They are into more of building engines. Even then they might not know something that the dealership would, but then again they might.
Old 10-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Points: 125, Level: 2 Points: 125, Level: 2 Points: 125, Level: 2

I've had the same issues with my 99 passat v6 I have replaced maf plugs wires coil to find out it was a hard code stored in the ecm so I replaced ecm and ran fine for a month to find out 600 bucks later it was just dry rotted vaccum lines so I'm replacing them now and it is running at 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Passat

Tags
v6 passat oil missfire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.