VW Forum banner

Passat battery

8K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  mcf57 
#1 ·
I have a 2003 Passat V6 wagon and I took it in to have a heater issue repaired. While at the dealer, they wound up giving me a long laundry list of things that supposedly needs to be replaced. One of them was the battery. It is the original battery and still works fine, but they said it needs a new one & will cost $180 from the dealer. Since its the original one and about 5yrs old, I figured that is probably about time for a new one.

However, I do have an aftermarket stereo, Polk speakers and an Amp installed in the trunk. The dealer told me that since I have an amp in it now, I need a capacitor installed by a place like Best Buy (about $120). Otherwise, the new battery will not last long either cause the amp will really drain it or something.

The local stereo shop I got the amp installed told me I should get a special "red top optimum" battery & it handles amps better. Its gel filled instead of lead acid so this is apparently the reason. Its also cheaper. I got the stereo from Crutchfield and have asked around their forum as well and they are saying I don't really need the capacitor either and recommended some other batteries designed for this amp situation as well & are a lot cheaper as well.

For now, I did not have any kind of new battery put in it while I investigate my options. Its still running fine, but any thoughts on the kind of battery that can be put in this vehicle when an amp has been installed?

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.