Steering column and ignition problems on Jettas and Passats - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Passat

Passat VW Passat - This is the discussion forum for the VW Passat (VW Passat Forum, Volkswagen Passat Forum, Volkswagen Passat)

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Steering column and ignition problems on Jettas and Passats

Hi all - have a 2006 Passat 2.0T with 70k miles on it, and have been getting a "steering wheel defective" error every time I start the car up. Many times, the car will try to start and not turn over, and I have to wait a few minutes before trying again with any success. Yellow or red steering wheel symbol flashing on the instrument panel, yet no steering issues whatsoever. The issue has been happening for several months, and I just took it to the shop, where they said it's a problem that's been occurring on many Passat's and Jetta's, and that there's no recall (yet). Estimate to replace both the steering column and ignition (they say both need to be done) is $1400 (and because of mileage, warranty doesn't apply).

Anyone else have this problem, or heard of it? I'm wondering a few things:

* since this is a problem that's been happening fairly regularly, has anyone heard of an upcoming recall I should wait for?
* assuming I waited and didn't have the repair done, what's the likelihood of doing damage to either the ignition or steering column?
* can the parts be ordered elsewhere, and put in by a master tech (NOT the local VW shop)?

Any questions I should be asking of the shop, or looking into? I appreciate any helpful assistance you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1

Default many complaints

Hello,

I own a 2006 Passat and started having problems at year one. Put in the key fob and the car doesn't start, pull it out, try again, the car starts. A month goes by and it happens again. Then several times in one week, then another month without an issue. I stopped by the dealer and asked if they had any complaints with the key fobs, maybe contact, but nope, no problems. BUT it is a serious problem and eventually after a year or so the problem occurs more frequently. Also, now sometimes the car starts and then shuts off immediately, and does this numerous times in a row. I went to a different dealer who said that there were no problems that they knew of. Ran one of those computer diagnosis, nothing showed up. Finally they now say that the steering column needs to be replaced. And of course they say that this is not under warranty despite the fact that I checked with two dealers when the car would have been under warranty. If you check on the internet under "Passat Steering Column Problem" you will find there are many complaints on this. I am putting a sign in my car window advising people that Passat has a major defect. It is only fair that people know about this potential problem and maybe, just maybe can get it fixed while under warranty. VW has apparently not advised their dealers of this problem and should.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Points: 2,304, Level: 29 Points: 2,304, Level: 29 Points: 2,304, Level: 29

This issue is definitely not unheard of on the B6 Passat. I have not heard of it on the Jetta. The steering column and the comfort system control module will need to be replaced. I have not heard that there is any impending recall and Volkswagen does not seem to be assisting on cars outside the 4/50 warranty period. FYI, these are the part numbers and prices for this repair.

Steering Column - 3C1419501N - Dealer list $380.00 , our price $266.76
Comfort Control Unit - 3C0959433Q - Dealer list $195.00, our price $136.89

The repair can be performed by a Volkswagen technician, but they would need the equipment necessary for coding. (ie. Vag-Com)

- Craig
vwdiscountparts.com
Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 PM

I just purchased my 2006 Passat recently, and have had the same type of problems. I push the fob in and it starts and stops like the ignition doesn't catch. The last couple times after trying a few times and getting discouraged, i switch fob's and it starts no problem. Damn technology. I was hoping it had something to do with the cold weather.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Points: 2,304, Level: 29 Points: 2,304, Level: 29 Points: 2,304, Level: 29

This sounds more like one of your fobs isn't properly programmed to your car. This is not the symptom of the column and control module.

- Craig
Discount Volkswagen Parts
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Default 2007 Passat 2.0T Defective Steering Column Lock

I purchased my 2007 VW Passat 2.0T and have had nothing but problems from the start.
I gave it the benefit of the doubt when it sat for 2 days in my garage and the battery went dead. VW replaced the battery.
A couple weeks later my windows would get stuck halfway down. Then, I couldn't have the radio on if the rear defrost was on. They replaced the rear window. I can't even remember how many trips that was to the dealership. Then it got to the point where they would bring me a loaner car to work for me. I live & work an hour away from the dealership. They were working with me, so I kept dealing with the problems. Then the labels started peeling off of the lock switches. Then the battery went dead for the second time within less than six months of replacement. Finally they figured out there was an electrical problem in the door, which was repaired while it was still under warranty. This was lucky for me since I drive about 110 miles a day.

Now, here I am about a year and half later and my car won't start half the time. I have to push the key fob in about 10 times for it to start. Today is the first day I had an error message. It said "Defective Steering Column Lock." Now I have about 75,000 miles on my car & I did purchase the extended warranty, so we'll see if it's covered. The price I was quoted if it's not covered under the warranty was $1,695.
I can't wait to get rid of this piece of crap car. I should have made the company buy it back under the lemon law, but not sure where my judgement was a year and a half ago!!
mad:
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM

I have a 2008 Passat...and I got the "Steering column lock defective" alarm the other day.

It started fine. Today, my car took about 12 tries to start. It turned over each time, and then shut off.

My wife has a 2006 Passat and just went through the same thing 2 months ago. Her's cost her around $500 to fix. After she brought it to the dealership, she started having actual problems with vibrating under the car. I don't think these problems are at all related... but her front right tire let go and and basically turned inward on the highway and destroyed the whole front right side of her car.

One would assume that if you have 2 of the same cars... having the same problem (different years...) ...that maybe it should be a recall item.
Mine's under warranty, so we'll see how that goes.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 PM

Default Same

I just registered to say the same thing happened to our 2006 Passat. The intermittent no start thing started happening so we tried all the temporary fixes (waiting for the light to change color, moving the wheel, etc.) until the whole thing died. We took it to our local dealer here in Salt Lake, described the problem, told them we knew that this was a well documented issue, and that we had already talked with VWofA. They kindly fixed the problem even though the car was just out of warranty. I wanted to let people know that it looks like in at least some cases VW is making this right. Good luck to everyone that still has this problem.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarsen View Post
I have a 2008 Passat...and I got the "Steering column lock defective" alarm the other day.

It started fine. Today, my car took about 12 tries to start. It turned over each time, and then shut off.

This week I have experienced the exact same problem, with my Passat 1.8 TSI (6 shifts teftronic).

I wonder what should I do.
Will the dealer fix w/o charge, although the car is 30 months old & after warranty period?

Please advise.
TIA,

Doron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Passat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.