Diesel Particulate Filter Issues with the new Polo TDI - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Polo

Polo VW Polo - This is the discussion forum for the VW Polo (VW Polo Forum, Volkswagen Polo Forum, Volkswagen Polo)

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Diesel Particulate Filter Issues with the new Polo TDI

Good Afternoon,

4 weeks ago a bought a brand new VW Polo 1.6 TDI Sel 90, the reason behind choosing the engine was simply down to practicality and running costs with its 78.5 mpg possibilities.

Only at the point of being handed the keys I was advised that these new diesel engines are all fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter, they self clean so long as you give them a good run once in a while, which wouldn’t be a problem since it’s a 20mile carriageway commute to work and back each day.

Having had the car only 3 days and having already totted up 176 miles this filter light comes on, to be sure I understand the situation correctly I read the manual, which states this warning light appears when the filter is over 55% clogged up with diesel soot and that I should drive 45mph for 15 mins in 4th gear. I quickly realised the issues this causes:

1) 45mph for 15 mins is only possible on carriageways near me out of rush hour times.
2) 45mph in a 70mph zone is hazardous to other road users.
3) You are likely to be pulled over by the police for causing a hazard to other road users.
3) 15 mins at 45 mpg is neither economic nor practical, at best you can hope for is 40mpg
4) 15 mins wasted time is not easy for my schedule nor is it cost effective.
5) I am not normally available to waste time during offpeak hours.

This issue quickly grew as I neared 680 miles and had already repeated the above 4 times.
I never had VW Pegged as such impractical engineers? At this rate the 1.4 TSI engine would have made a more practical choice. Clearing the filter around every 1000 mile intervals would be fine but now at 1080 miles I have now done a filter cleaning run 7 times, much to my inconvenience.

Having reported this to VW, they were very vague and it took them 2 weeks to book me in for an inspection and courtesy car which, this happens to be today.

The vagueness of VW and the Nemours complaint I have since read up on across many forums leaves me a little unsettled with me issue and leave’s me wondering if this is an issues with “my car” or the entire “Polo TDI” range? I know nobody with a Polo TDI so therefore cannot share thoughts.

When I get my car back will this be ajn ongoing issue? Should I attempt to get my money back now while I still can and venture towards the petrol engine which by comparison seems like less hassle and the more economic option?

My cousin has the 2.0 TDI Scirocco which I know to have a DPF, he has exceeded 16,000 miles and not once has he had the light come on.

Reading into this issue I found that you do not really need to drop down to 4th at 45mph, the exhaust simply needs to reach 300 degrees, or, keep above 2000 rpm for more for 5-10mins to self clean, again this defeats the diesel engine, its purpose and can imply that driving heavy footed or speeding on carriageways seems to be the preferred driving style for the new unimproved Polo TDI?

I can find a lot of complains and misdirection but not a lot of advice on what to do or more information specifically on this model and this issue.

What can I do?

Many Thanks
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2010, 02:51 AM
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1

Hi Guys,
I’ve had a couple of messages regarding my DPF post above so id like to clear a few things up.

I was extremely displeased when presented with my problem and if im to be honest mechanic was an arse since he wouldn’t listen to a word I said and insisted this isn’t a fault, simply how they behave as a car.

Personally if the car were to remain like this I wouldn’t want it.

Now 700 miles ago I had my car in to VW who’s support team suggested this was a ECU version issue and it simply needs an upgrade.

They upgraded it and it seems to of been problem free since.

It came on briefly during a journey at about 400 miles after but it cleared itself within about a minute, suggesting that its now working as it should.

If you are experiencing similar problems id advise an ECU upgrade too, so please contact VW.

The engines should not be this bad, despite what your VW Mechanic may say, escalate the problem to VW head office and you will begin to get results.

I hope this helps
Regards
Steve
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 AM
Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2 Points: 116, Level: 2

I have the VW Polo 1.6 TDI (105hp) in South Africa. Have done about 14375 miles and have never had any issues.

We've had an ECU update for the DPF which also made the car more drivable.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1

Default I am having the same problem

Hi Folks,
I have had the same problem with my Polo 1.6 TDi. The VW mechanic basically blamed me for not driving hard enough or for long enough. Bizarely, none of these expectations were explained to me when I was initially with the sales person buying the car at the beginning. Yet they knew from what I told them that I lived and worked in a crowded urban environment where getting up to speed for long enough is difficult. Only last week, my car was in the VW mechanics for two days to get things fixed. What happens when the warranty runs out?

The VW dealership could not have been more unhelpful. I said I wanted to trade the car in for a petrol VW so they said they would phone me to discuss this further. That was almost a week ago and I haven't heard from them. So much for the new car buying experience.

In some ways it would be better to have my 15 year old Commodore back.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Polo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.