VW Forum banner

polo 1.4 02 reg misfire/ exhaust warning lamp

23K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  impy1980 
#1 ·
I've just brought a 02 polo 1.4 and the exhaust warning lamp keep coming on. i have taken it into a vw dealer and they have put a diagonosic machine on it and advised that coils2,3&4 may need replacing but advised they hadn't gone yet so just gave me a quote, they turned the light off advising it was not actually the cat that was the problem. i went away and have since had all 4 coils replaced, but the exhaust warning light still comes on, when it intially comes on the vehicle has no accelleration and the light flashes,and the vehicle misfires. When i turn the vehicle off then back on again the light stays fixed and the car drives ok, without misfiring ? its obviously not the coils as they are new. anyone got any ideas?

#3 ·
Had probs with the EPC and engine warning light since i first got my '03 1.4 FSI 100bhp Polo. When i first took it to the garage they advised that the emissions sensor would probably need changing but they werent sure. The warning light was reset and off I went.

I've had intermittent warning lights on and off ever since - mostly the performance isnt affected and i just get them reset at MOT or service. However I've also had 3 ignition coils changed in the last 6 months (each on separate occasions when the engine warning light flashes, the car vibrates violently and loss of power means that you plod along at no more than 50mph). My mate had a similar problem with a coil in a Polo of similar age.

Seems like the emissions sensor problem on the Polo is a common one, and it seems to trigger the warning light at will (which can go off, then come on again).

My advice would be to try changing the sensor (not sure of the exact name for it) but am advised that this could be around £150. Otherwise if you can put up with the warning lights i'd suggest doing just that, seeing as performance doesnt seem to be affected.

#4 ·
If it's not the spark plugs then it's most likely one of the spark plug caps or as it's officially known ignition coil-pencil. One of mine has just gone, apparently they are prone to go on 3 year old Polos or around 30,000 miles according to my local independent VW parts supplier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.