Van says rear signal lamp is out, but it's not, but it is... - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
Routan VW Routan - This is the discussion forum for the VW Routan (VW Routan Forum, Volkswagen Routan Forum, Volkswagen Routan)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-25-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Question Van says rear signal lamp is out, but it's not, but it is...

Ok, here is a weird one! I hopped into my van the other day, turned on the headlights, and started backing out of my garage. Suddenly on the dashboard of my 2012 Routan, a message came up saying that the left rear turn signal lamp was out. I stopped, turned off the car, and the headlights, and checked. I saw two bulbs in the left rear, and they both turned on just fine when the brake pedal was pressed, as well as the turn signal. I noticed though that when I turned on the headlights, suddenly I would get the notice, and the turn signal would stop working! So the lamp isn't really out, it's just not able to work when the headlights are on. Is this something simple to fix, like with a fuse or something, or is this a more complicated computer type problem? Anyone know?

capT

2012 Routan SEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22 Points: 1,599, Level: 22
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%

Ok, I figured out the problem. I pulled off the cover to the rear light, and looked at the bulb. It looked like one of the two filaments was burned out. I popped in a new bulb, and suddenly the problem went away! Watching it closely, when the headlights are on, and the rear light is on, once you start the blinker, the two filaments toggle on and off, one right after each other. One is just slightly brighter than the other I think. So, what I think happened was this. Normally when the lamp fails, you will get the fast blink signal on your dashboard. Since there were two filaments, and the one that was burned out wasn't used until the headlights were turned on, the blinker would blink normally until the headlights were on, and then it would sense that the lamp was out.

capT

2012 Routan SEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Routan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.