VW Forum banner

2003 (mk4) GTI transmission issue

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  livefreeordie 
#1 ·
So the other day I bought a 2003 gti 1.8t. It was $900 with 200k miles. I've taken it to several mechanics to have checked for issues and they're all saying that the engine is in great condition.

The problem is with the tranny. The transmission fights when I try to put in 1st 3rd or 5th. By that I mean it feels like there is a wall blocking me from putting the shifter into that gear. If I wiggle it and try multiple times sometimes it will slide into the gear but for the most the top half of gears aren't working.

Then when I finally got home I go to put it in reverse and it wouldn't push down so I can go over and up. If felt like it was stuck in the up position. After a small struggle I was able to engage the gear.

If someone could plz tell me what this sounds like. My mechanic friends are saying clutch. Someone else said maybe a synchro. But plz any advice it's helpful.

If you can please call me (646) 201-1793. It will be easier to explain over the phone I'm sure. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.