Jetta 2003 Clutch Issues - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > VW Forum News & VW News > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Tell us about yourself and your car. Break the ice in here.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%

Cool Jetta 2003 Clutch Issues

I'd like to ask everyone a simple question but first here's my details,

I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8 Ltr. turbo, manual 5 speed transmission, I have a problem with my clutch and the changing of gears. The car was running perfect up until I started it one morning and found that it would not go into gear, the clutch felt the same as always but it was impossible to put the transmission into any gear.

I shut off the engine and ran through all 5 forward gears and reverse with no problem. I then started the engine while the transmission was in first gear and I was able to drive forward as normal but once I tried to shift while not moving forward it would not go into any gear again.

- There are no unusual noises and no check engine lights are on.
- I checked the hydraulic oil level and it was on the min.mark, so I topped it
up, with no improvment.

I decided to try and drive to the VW dealership that was about 25 km.away by starting out in 2nd gear and found that once I was moving forward and had some speed I could change the gears ,but it required much more input from me, also at no time did any of the gears grind when shifting.

Once at the dealers, they told me the clutch was gone and for about $1,300.00 they could make it work nice again, by changing the Dual Mass Flywheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch, and Bearing.

My question is this, how do all these components fail over night while the car is sat in the driveway, seems a bit strange, what do you think?

Last edited by phoenix; 01-16-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11 Points: 580, Level: 11

i'd take it somewhere else and ask what they think....maybe even just call and ask what they think....never goto the dealership unless it's to get a part that auto part stores don't have and you need it asap
Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1

The answer to this question is, it's the SLAVE CYLINDER thats faulty not the clutch, cost of a new one is approx. $130.00. The dealer charged me $40.00 to tell me it was the clutch but they were wrong.
You would think that when a company is charging $100.00 per hour for there labour you could expect quality work, but no, just BS.
I asked for my money back but they wanted to give me an in-store-credit, which I refused and I demanded my cash back, they finally agreed.

Last edited by phoenix; 01-31-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Points: 3,714, Level: 38 Points: 3,714, Level: 38 Points: 3,714, Level: 38
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

When you start the car in first gear, with your foot on the clutch, does it jump forward and begine moving as soon as the engine starts?

If yes, then It could be a worn clutch. But you should have seen signs of the clutch deteriorating over the last few weeks.

As mentioned above, it would be cheap insurance to replace the slave cylinder first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > VW Forum News & VW News > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.