Potential New Owner... - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
VW Forum VW Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > VW Forum News & VW News > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New to the site? Tell us about yourself and your car. Break the ice in here.

VwForum.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Default Potential New Owner...

Hello all,

Just taking this time to introduce myself and toss out some questions. I have never owned a VW, never wanted to own an import. However, having been born in Germany, I decided a VW is notexactly an import for me LOL.

I have been driven to get a VW by my need for a car with good MPG. Right now I own a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, which can be seen here:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/266924...rand-cherokee/

The pictures are horrible. But I did all the work myself, at least all that could be done from a garage. So I know my way around an autombile. Although I do typically ask a ton of questions LOL.

Needless to say , i was satusfied with this when my commute to work was 5 mins down the road. However, now I have accepted a job that is 30 mins away, 90% highway. 33 miles ot be exact. So getting 10MPG is not really a great option. I can afford to drive that all day, however I do not wish to LOL. And I have a 2001 Suzuki SV650S, however the riding season here in Maine is quite limited.

So I started looking around at cars. 30MPG is really the minimum I want to accept, be evne that is not what I wanted. I was looking at some BMW 325xi's and Audi A4 Quattro's. But for the price, they barely made sense and topped out around the 25-26 MPG mark, if I recall. I love them, but people seem to be asking way too much for them.

I really love hatchbacks as well. And do noteven get me started on 318ti owners. Most of them want 2 to 3 times the KBB value. I did really want an AWD car, but decided a FWD would be fine, and on extreme days I could just drive my Jeep.

I then stumbled upon a listing for a 2006 VW Golk TDI. I thought to myself "Well, I am used to paying Premium Gas, diesel isn't that much more expensive". The allure of 40MPG had my attention. For a hatchback, it looked nice. No, it didn't have anything too sharp looking on the outside like a Mazda3, but who wants to own something from Japan? And quite frankly, the Golf had a subtle dignity to it I liked.

My question is, is this a wise investment? What should I look for as far as common problems on one with say 112K on it? What sort of immediate improvements could I make? Not looking to make this a rally car or anything, but I wouldn't mind some simple upgrades to improve performace. How hard are these to work on and maintain?

Please and thanks for any responses in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:05 AM
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%

Anyone knows about Everbuying.com?Is it reliable?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2 Points: 110, Level: 2
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justion View Post
Trying to get some commision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > VW Forum News & VW News > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.