Need Help - Can smell petrol fumes in the cabin 95 golf - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK3 Discussion area for the third generation Golf III and Jetta III produced from 1993 to 1999 including Cabrio models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,765, Level: 24 Points: 1,765, Level: 24 Points: 1,765, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Need Help - Can smell petrol fumes in the cabin 95 golf

Hi,

I've got a 95 golf 1.4 and from the UK. I recently had a MOT (vehicle legal fitness test ). In the MOT, the emissions are tested at a specific engine rev, the first time, the car failed the test as the Revs were fluctuating too much to get a steady reading, the tester drove the car round the block and retested and it just passed. I've also recently noticed petrol fumes in the cabin (when the cabin fans are on), it more noticebale when i'm stationary and at first ignition. I lifted the hood and could get a faint whiff of petrol. i've loked very carefully around the engine and near the fuel intake line and didn't notice any damp/wet patches. I'm going to get an engine diagnostic done, but does anyone know if the fluctuating engine revs and petrol fumes are related? Or what could be causing the petrol fumes?

Thanks
Quyeno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29 Points: 2,408, Level: 29

I had a prob. with exhaust/fuel smell, until i found out my crankcase breather tube was cracked and letting fumes escape and then was picked up by the intake for the blower motor. You can you crank breather system for leaks.

1997 Jetta 2.0
5 spd GT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 05:26 PM
Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19 Points: 1,288, Level: 19

Send a message via AIM to FINNER Send a message via MSN to FINNER Send a message via Yahoo to FINNER
for starters I hope you don't smoke. second, like he said check your breather tubing. if that is not it, check your other intake hoses, specifically the ones leading in to the cabin. also check the fuel line , although if it were a fuel leak that bad you would know by now. Finally check gasket seals, highly unlikely for this to occur this way but they may be bad and letting a little out on to the components of your fan/cabin vents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in