2005 (2004.5 actually) Jetta Misfire - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2 Points: 111, Level: 2
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

2005 (2004.5 actually) Jetta Misfire

Hello, I bought an 05 Jetta GL with the 2.0 BBW engine from somebody going through a rough time for a cheap price. The car had a bad misfire and he didn't have the money to spare to fix it. Upon getting the car I put a code reader on it and it read misfire for all 4 cylinders(p301,p302,p303, p304 and the pd codes to match). I figured this a problem that effects all 4 cylinders so I got a coil pack from a junkyard vehicle, and new wires from Autozone. I pulled the spark plugs and they seemed to be in great shape so I didn't get any new ones. this in turn eliminated the misfire ibn cylinders #2, #3 and #4 but # 1 is still there with the check engine code of P301 and pd301. I then read up and found low fuel pressure can cause misfires too. I put a fuel gauge on the fuel rail and find out my pressure should be between 3.5 to 5 bar and its low at 2 bar. I replaced the pump. (Had to buy a 2nd one because my car has the metal tank so I had to get that special pump). That straightened out the fuel pressure but I still have the misfire. So I now check the compression. I put my gauge on cylinder 1 and have 0 compression. I wanted to compare cylinders and #4 is the easiest to access due to that intake manifold and #4 has 185 PSI which is great. Went back to #1 to confirm and yes it is 0. So after manually turning the crankshaft I can verify my piston is moving so I don't think that is broken which would really suck. So I'm thinking this is an intake or exhaust valve in the #1 cylinder that is stuck open or broken and Ill have to remove the head to get this repaired. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if so what did you do if anything different?

George

2005 Jetta GL 2.0 BBW 4-Door Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Well after doing some troubleshooting I did a compression test and found my #1 cylinder had zero compression and in comparison #4(which is the easiest to get to because of the intake manifold) had 180 psi. So looking on the internet about some possibilities the one thing that had to happen was pulling off the valve cover and possibly the head. Well as soon as I pull off the cover I notice a huge problem right away. The #1 cylinder exhaust valve lifter has a huge hole worn into it so there explains why Im getting no compression. The camshaft lobe was mushroomed out and wore a hole into it. It was also starting to wear down #3. So the camshaft was done, and the lifters too. While I had it off I thought it would be a great idea to replace the head gasket, water pump and timing belt. After putting everything back the car runs great.

George

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Points: 36,622, Level: 100 Points: 36,622, Level: 100 Points: 36,622, Level: 100

Wow. Would never have expected that. Hope I never have that issue. So what all did you have to source? A new lifter and cam?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Jetta GLS 2.0L | R.I.P. - 2002 Jetta GLS 2.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fukn_dubn_gti View Post
miller thats cause you drive a 2.slow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
you couldnt out run a golf cart.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

To be honest the job wasnt that hard. Once I pulled the intake manifold and got the valve cover off it was right there. You have to remove the Cam and the hardest part of that is the timing belt. You can work it off the cam and kinda tie it up with zip ties, or shoe strings or similar to keep tension on it and move it out the way. If you replace it (which is what I did) then it wont matter. Once you have the CamShaft off the head the lifters come right up and off with a magnet. I bought new lifters, and a replacement Cam from a junkyard Jetta. My has the BBW engine(which is rare for parts) and I lucked out finding that.

George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in