Please HELP! 2000 VW Jetta 1.8T Keeps Blowing ECM Fuse #10 - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Please HELP! 2000 VW Jetta 1.8T Keeps Blowing ECM Fuse #10

HELP!!! My VW Jetta 1.8T is having an electrical issue. At first the car started hesitating during high speeds (55-65) for brief moments. I was told to change the plugs. After changing the plugs (NGK BKR6EIX) I started having stuttering at any speed intermittently. Then the car would run fine for 15-30 minutes and start acting funny again.

Removed the coils, spark plugs, etc and inspected everything. Still drove with random stuttering and then drove fine for about 30 minutes. Then suddenly ECP light came on and car went into limp mode. Got it home and didn't look at it again till next morning.

Car would not start. Read some stuff on here and VWVortex boards and it suggested I check fuses and relays. Discovered fuse #10 ECM, GAS was blown. Changed the fuse, car started, blew the fuse after 2 mins. Noticed Coil Pack #4 (counting from Left to Right) while standing in front of car was sparking right before car shorting. Replaced that coil with a new VW dealer coil, new fuse, turned car on and heard the fuse blow and the car turn off. Took new coil off and inspected wire/plug casing, noticed it had one of the internal gaskets ( a purple plastic piece) cracked. The orange insulation looked ok, the wires look fine as well. So I used a high temp silicone gasket maker to seal the exposed wires where the plastic piece had cracked. I let it cure and wrapped it with electrical tape. Tried to start the car, blew fuse #10 again .... car turned off and wouldn't start.

My brother suggested I try and start the car without coil #4. The car starts and stays on, does not blow any fuses. But of course I cant run my car on 3 cylinders and I cant afford a dealer diagnostic right now. Can someone please HELP! I realize I probably have a short but where do I start to look for it? What causes fuse #10 to constantly blow and why does it not blow when coil #4 is completely off? Any help would be appreciated, I'm stuck, I live 30 minutes away from town and have no transportation as this is my only car.

I'm not gonna complain about my Jetta, it has 190k miles on it and this is only the 2nd problem I have had with it in the 5 years I have owned it. I love my car but I need her to run properly, or I am SOL.....

My humble thanks In advance for any help/support offered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

**UPDATE** Fixed **Please HELP! 2000 VW Jetta 1.8T Keeps Blowing ECM Fuse #10

Ok went back outside and re-inspected the wiring harness adapter for the 4th coil. Got a magnifying lens and looked closely at all of the wires. When I flipped the harness over, there it was, a small nick with exposed wiring on the main lead. Got out my High Temp RTV silicone gasket maker and put a small dab on the nick. Waited about 30 minutes and then wrapped the individual wire with electrical tape. Then wrapped the entire harness up to the plug several times.

Crossed my fingers and started the car. No problems, no fuses blown, no stuttering. Turns out the initial problem was my coil and the wire on the harness probably cracked when I removed the coil to change it out. Going for a test drive to make sure everything works. She is purring like a kitten with her new plugs and coil. I have an appointment tomorrow morning for the coil recall, VW said to bring it in and they will replace all of my coils with the new D plug in (no bolt style.)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member
Points: 7,245, Level: 56 Points: 7,245, Level: 56 Points: 7,245, Level: 56
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%

Glad you fixed your problem - I was going to tell you to replace your harness. You might consider that if you're keeping the car a long time. Welcome to the forum BTW. I'm a little north of you in Gainesville.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Ty I have been looking everywhere for some high temp tape and cant seem to find anyone who carries it. I'm afraid the electrical tape will get too hot and melt. I know I will eventually need to replace the harness but I also heard I might be able to just buy the wire housing/attachments and go from there. I'll definitely post an update when I get the issue permanently resolved. As for now, everything seems to be working fine.

Happy & Safe Thanksgiving.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100 Points: 35,348, Level: 100
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fukn_dubn_gti
better off saving ur pennies and getting the harness.. its quick and easy

Mods:
More Than You
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in