tranny concern - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Evolved Member
Points: 6,652, Level: 53 Points: 6,652, Level: 53 Points: 6,652, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via AIM to Marcus C Send a message via Yahoo to Marcus C
tranny concern

after i watched DB's movies yesterday, the 11mb one flying through the national park or whatever (wich is pretty friggin bad i might add) and seeing how smooth his gti shifted makes me REALLY concerned about my vr6 tranny, even my girlfriend complains about how it slings you around the car(well 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd) if you read this just give me a post saying how smooth your trans is (or isn't), i want to know if its just VW or if i need to have somthing fixed! but theres no knocks like it's (the trans) moving around... ive driving a stick for 5 years so i know its not just me! if anyone has ANY imput please reply...

thanks!
-marc

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Midnight VR6 ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 08:30 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 24,895, Level: 95 Points: 24,895, Level: 95 Points: 24,895, Level: 95

Send a message via AIM to Straz85
tranny concern

Actually yesterday I was told by my girlfriend that I am good at driving stick (good to her means that I shift smooth). Much smoother than my Jeep...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Points: 3,902, Level: 39 Points: 3,902, Level: 39 Points: 3,902, Level: 39

tranny concern

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Midnight VR6:
after i watched DB's movies yesterday, the 11mb one flying through the national park or whatever (wich is pretty friggin bad i might add) and seeing how smooth his gti shifted makes me REALLY concerned about my vr6 tranny, even my girlfriend complains about how it slings you around the car(well 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd) if you read this just give me a post saying how smooth your trans is (or isn't), i want to know if its just VW or if i need to have somthing fixed! but theres no knocks like it's (the trans) moving around... ive driving a stick for 5 years so i know its not just me! if anyone has ANY imput please reply...

thanks!
-marc

[ July 06, 2003: Message edited by: Midnight VR6 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know you said you have been driving stick for 5 years. but my question is how long have you been driving a stick on VW's. I found when I first got my VW it took me a long time to master the 1st to 2nd shift. Now I am on my second VW and i shift like a pro. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

just my .02

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 02:10 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 30,181, Level: 100 Points: 30,181, Level: 100 Points: 30,181, Level: 100

Send a message via AIM to shedpress Send a message via MSN to shedpress
tranny concern

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 03Rabbit1.8Turbo:
I know you said you have been driving stick for 5 years. but my question is how long have you been driving a stick on VW's. I found when I first got my VW it took me a long time to master the 1st to 2nd shift. Now I am on my second VW and i shift like a pro. [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

just my .02
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
very true. shifting on other cars (nissan trucks in my case) is a totally different thing than driving a manual vw. I mastered shifting in my 96 jetta, then, a slight change to my 2000 gti vr, but about the same. best..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 24,895, Level: 95 Points: 24,895, Level: 95 Points: 24,895, Level: 95

Send a message via AIM to Straz85
tranny concern

Not that I think about it, for a while one thing that gave me a problem with smooth shifts was the delay when you hit the gas. Notice it takes a second to accelerate after you hit the gas, so when you let of the clutch and hit the gas it will screw you up a little till you get the timing down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in