Wet Passenger Floor boards... - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
MK4 Discussion area for the new fourth generation Golf IV, 337, R32, 20th and Jetta IV produced from 1998 to 2004.5 including Cabrio models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,134, Level: 27 Points: 2,134, Level: 27 Points: 2,134, Level: 27
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Wet Passenger Floor boards...

A couple of months ago I noiced my front seat passenger floor mat was damp. I pulled it up and notice the floor boards were soaked. I sooped it up pretty well and figured my girlfriend dumped her water bottle. A week or so later I noticed it even wetter. I brought it to the dealer and they said the pollin filter in the dash had come loose and rain / snow water was coming down from the sun roof gutters down through the forward post and then was trickling through the pollen filter port and on to my floor. They said they fixed it and it was taken care of.

Now I'm presented with two problems.

First my floor boards are still wet. The suggestion the dealership offered was run the car in a garage and as the car heated up pat it down with a towel. However with gas prices being 2.30 - 2.65 that's a kind of costly.

My second problem Is a bit more of a mystery. Granted it has just snowed here over the last couple of days and my self and my girlfriend have been getting in and out of the car, but the floor boards feel wet again. I'm not entirely sure if its snow off our shoes or if the problem wasn't actually taken care of. What I'm afraid of is that in reality there's a hole somewhere in the body and the car taking water in from the underside.

I was hoping someone here can either offer opinions or recount a similar situation and then offer how they resolved the issue.

I appreciate any and all help you have to offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:25 AM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 17,997, Level: 85 Points: 17,997, Level: 85 Points: 17,997, Level: 85

Send a message via AIM to das boot
here's a previous topic: https://www.vwforum.com/viewtopic.php...hlight=leaking

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

well I suppose that amounts to someone commiserating with me. Does anyone have any suggestions as how I can fix clean it up quickly??

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 11,050, Level: 69 Points: 11,050, Level: 69 Points: 11,050, Level: 69

I don't know about running your car in the garage but if you got a shop vac pull your carpet up and theres sound deadning/insulation under that you'll have to pull all of that out and dry it. Use the vac to pull most of it out and maybe use a fan or a small space heater to dry them out. Good luck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Ok...That's the best idea yet. I'm a little leery about disasembling my 2yo car. Do I need to unscrew anything? Where would I start?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Points: 1,885, Level: 25 Points: 1,885, Level: 25 Points: 1,885, Level: 25

I would use the shop vac without taking apart the carpet and then put a bucket of DAMPRID (found at home cheapo) with the car sealed for a day or two.

Another good use of damprid is if you dump your cell phone in water seal it in a ziploc bag with some damprid pellets overnight.

good luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
No Life Outside VWforum
Points: 11,050, Level: 69 Points: 11,050, Level: 69 Points: 11,050, Level: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnc007
Ok...That's the best idea yet. I'm a little leery about disasembling my 2yo car. Do I need to unscrew anything? Where would I start?
I know it sucks but when I had my '85 jetta I had a swimming pool in the floorboards and had to do this to get all the water up. Believe me that insulation under your carpet holds alot of water not to mention when its fully soaked its also trapping alot of water underneath it. As far as what you got to do to take your carpet out in your MK4.. I dunno haven't done it maybe someone who has can chime in.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

I'll check out this damp rid stuff. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > MK4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in