Used Phaeton - What do I need to know? - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
Phaeton VW Phaeton - This is the discussion forum for the VW Phaeton (VW Phaeton Forum, Volkswagen Phaeton Forum, Volkswagen Phaeton)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Used Phaeton - What do I need to know?

Hey all! 2 weeks ago, a hit and run driver totaled out my 2003 Audi S8. It was a sad day, but life moves on and I am lookig to start anew. Until a week ago, I had never even heard of a VW Phaeton, but the more I look into them and look at them, the more I want one. So, I am probably going to get one of the V8 models 2003 or 2004. It is a buyer's market right now, and I think the values of these cars (from what I see) is underated.

That having been said, if anyone could spare a few minutes telling me about what one needs to know when buying a used Phaeton, I would be in their debt. Anything you know about maintenance triggers, parts that commonly fall off or break, known design flaws, etc.

On the Audi S8, at 100,000 miles there was a $2k preventative maintenance overhaul required with timing belts etc. I see a lot of Phaeton's in the 90-96k mileage range and you'll find a lot of S8's in the same range. They won't tell you that right after you buy the car, you better be ready to add several grand to maintenance they aren't going to do. Anything like that.

How much was say a V8 2003 Phaeton with a decent option package brand new?

Would you say the maintenance costs are compareable to an S8 (Oxygen sensor goes, sorry you are out $550. Oil change = $120)?

How safe are these cars?

How reliable is the engineering?

What is the big change between an '03-'04-'05?

Thanks to anyone who can help. I'd pay you for your time if I could. I live in Tallahassee Florida so if anyone knows a shop near by you trust, let me know. Thanks and hope to be a Phaeton owner inside of a week!

--Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Resident Post Whore
Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94 Points: 24,267, Level: 94
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stealthpassat
Well its made by the same creators of that audi. German engineering is some of the best engineering ever. I would say pretty reliable because it is an upscale car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

I see a lot of Phaeton's in the 90-96k mileage range and you'll find a lot of S8's in the same range. They won't tell you that right after you buy the car, you better be ready to add several grand to maintenance they aren't going to do. Anything like tha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to TampaVWDealer
Hi Chris-did you ever end up getting the Phaeton?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > Volkswagen Models > Other Models > Phaeton

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in