Hi and first question - VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum
New Member Introductions New to the site? Tell us about yourself and your car. Break the ice in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%

Hi and first question

Hi Folks,
I am new to this forum but active member on another car forum dedicated to Mercedes Benz. Like I do on the other forum I will try to be as active as possible on this forum both for getting and sharing information. I am pretty good with my two hands and usually do all the services and a lot of the repairs on 6 different cars (my own 2 cars, my 2 daughters's cars, my girl friend's car and her daughter's car) and my motorcycle, so as you can see I have my hands full .
My brings me to this forum is my youngest daugther's 2011 Jetta 2.5l. Yesterday she had issue with the car transmission on two occasions. According to my daughter she was driving on the highway in hot weather for about 20mns and the car was fine during that time. Then she got out of the highway and stopped at a traffic light. Then the car went into limp mode that is to say the car would stay in low gear (2nd gear?) would rev and would not shift up. She finished the 2miles to her school driving about 35mph. At the end of the day she took her car back and the car drovet fine again until she left the highway and again the car went into limp mode. She made it back home. When I tested drove the car for 15mns later yesterday the car had no issue. I had a very similar behavior on a mercedes of mine which I fixed by draining the ATF, dropping and cleaning the pan and refilling and draining again 3 times. So my question to you is do you think this is due to old ATF (The car has 160k miles and I am not sure the ATF has been changed since new) low ATF, or clogged solenoids. I called the Volkswagen dealer and they told me the transmission needed to be replaced and quote me $7k lol. I checked on you tube and there are some videos describing the ATF replacement procedure for the MK5 and MK6 2.5l which is something i can easily do. Also what ATF does the this uses bside the WV one. On one video I see using Catrol transmax DVI. I would appreciate any tip, advise or inputs you can provide me.
Thanks a lot
Al

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-29-2019 at 04:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

I replaced the ATF last Saturday, drained the fluid (5qts), dropped the pan, cleaned the pan, replaced the filter and gasket and put the pan back, filled back the same amount of ATF I drained and the car drives like brand new. Smoother shifting and no more limp mode even after 1h20mns of city and highway driving in hot weather. So much for needing a new transmission
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 AM
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1

Job well done! If you ever need any OEM VW parts, check out https://www.vwpartsprime.com/ . I buy from them because their prices are cheaper than dealer and it's so much more convenient for me to buy online since I work 6 days a week and I don't have time to go to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum > VW Forum News & VW News > New Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VW Forum :: Volkswagen Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in