VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i press the ESP button in my mom's Passat the ESP light in the dash comes on right away, so i asume that is the way my car should act aswell.

But if i press, hold or tap morsecode on it there is still no light.
So is there a way to test if its the light bulb or the button that is broken?
Should there be an error code if i do an OBD scan on it?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
If you can't do a burn out it's not working.

If you live in the snow that's the best way to tell if it's working or not. That is basically the traction control light. When your tires are slipping it should lower the rpms for you to match wheel speed. Otherwise it will just red line.

If the traction control light is on then the traction control is off. I guess i don't understand the idea of pressing it different ways. If it came on with normal use then why mess around with it.
The main thing is if it initiates the traction control. The light isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No i can understand that, but the thing is that im not sure if its just the bulb (not biggie) or the whole esp system (kinda biggie).
Also its a 4wd 1.9 diesel, so burn outs are kinda tricky.

So you suggest find a dirt road and floor it and see if the car lower the rpm for me?
Also snow should be right around the corner so shouldn't be that long until i know.

Also the pressing thing, i wasn't sure if it was a "hold for 5 sec" safety feature or something that i didn't do right.

Update:
Concidering how much sideways i got while still flooring it i'm pretty sure that its not working right.
An OBD scan didn't say anything about the ESP.
Any suggestions on how i could find out what is actually wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I'd check wheel speed sensors. Check the wires and the sensors themselves.

Nope you just press it and boom it should flip on/off.
If the light is off you shouldn't be spinning if at all. If the light is on you should be free to go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, i'll check them.

Light is off and my tires are definantly spinning.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
You can vagcom it and enter the speed sensor blocks, raise each corner of the car and hand spin the wheel. If the wheel speed does not register the sensor is bad or wiring is messed up, replace or repair as needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts