VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I need help. I have an '01 NB 1.8t 5 spd. I bought the car from a the second owner and she swore that she had kept up on oil changes and maintenance however, i have my doubts. I changed the oil in it the first day i had it and put in a bosch filter and Castrol 5w-30w full synthetic. After I changed the oil and filter the timing chain started to slap at idle and under 1100 rpm. I immediately (the same day) flushed the engine and replaced the oil with the Mann filter specified for the car and used Motul 5w-40w full synthetic again. The timing chain slap was better for a day or so and then came back.:confused: It seems to slap based on oil pressure and temperature. I live in California central valley and it's hot here. On days that the weather is over 88 degrees (which is a lot) the rattling timing chain slap happens at low rpms 80% of the time, but not always.

Is there anyone that can help me, tell me what to do or look for? My mechanic doesn't know what to tell me except he can pull it apart at look but i'll have to pay him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
there is no timing chain on a beetle except the one that drives the second cam but both are driven by belt. Even if the tensioner on the secondary drive chain collapsed, that chain wouldn't make much noise. You may have a noisy lifter. I had a BMW that did the same scenario. I pulled the valve cover, found the noisy lifter that had collapsed because some debris had got in the oil galley. I cleaned the galley and it fixed the problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts