VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 golf 2.0 engine, auto trans, has roughly 180,000 miles. I bought it in the spring and it was my daily driver until a month ago. I filled it up with gas, drove about 50 miles, and after I pulled off the exit ramp from the interstate and stopped at a light, the car sputtered and died like it was out of gas. We could not get it to start, so we towed it home, and my husband came up with various things to try, mostly from reading forums. He's no mechanic, but reasonably handy. Picking through it, he found that the ignition coil was cracked to hell. Replaced it...no results. Replaced the crank position sensor per suggestion. Still nothing. We assumed maybe fuel pump...not it either. You can hear it coming on. So, I decided to just sell the car and put it on Craigslist. A guy came out to look at it, fiddled around for a while, then told me it either had a cracked head, or blown head gasket. I'm skeptical that he is just trying to get me to believe the motor is shot so he can buy it cheap. I'm skeptical because the car has NEVER overheated, never smoked, never burned any oil whatsoever, nor is the oil milky. But, with that being said; the check engine light was on when we bought the car. Codes came back as MAF and misfire, cyl 3. The MAF was replaced, codes cleared, and neither of the codes ever came back. Car drive and ran fine. I have not been able to tow the car to get codes checked; here is my question. Does it seem feasible that the car had a cracked head before we bought it, someone put some block sealer in it, sold it to us, and now the engine is effed, or does this sound like some other kind of issue? Also, I have no idea if it is related or not, but since the car died that day, my headlights do not work. The high beams and turn signals never did when we bought it, but we always had the headlight. It's not bulbs, checked them. And btw, the car will crank, but does not catch. I just want to know if someone's pulling my leg before I take junkyard price for it. Thanks!!!

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
I doubt the head is cracked. He is doin exactly what you suspected. The car should have codes stored on the ecu. A scanner will recover them and can really help diagnose what is wrong. It could be ignition related. Or maybe even the immobilizer preventjng the car from starting. Is the timing correct? Camshaft sensor good?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure about the timing. It was running fine before it died, didn't seem to have jumped time, but I don't know how I'd check now since she won't turn over. And I never thought about the cam sensor. I'm gonna get scanner and pull codes this weekend I guess. I really don't want to have to dig through this whole car and spend umpteen dollars on parts that may/may not be the problem, so I guess spending a few bucks on a scanner is imperative. Any idea about the headlights? Thanks for the help btw!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I know the immobilizer would keep the car from starting, but that shouldn't make it die in the first place right? And like I said I can hear my fuel pump priming. Would the cam sensor just kill it right there after it's been running for over an hour?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Is it possible it jumped time enough to prevent compression but not enough to crack the head and just bend the valves?

Sounds similar to what happened to my car when the timing belt slipped but it did crack the head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts