VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not relly the authority on turbo's on this forum, I have a VR6, but I am glad to decided to come over from the dark side

WELCOME TO VWF!!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
From what i've read, turbo timers are not really needed on the newer 1.8t's. But i understand that since you already have one why not put it on. I would think it would work with the right harness. I'm sure our expert 1.8t man Big Dong will chime in soon.
jon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris19:
hey guys whats up...i'm new here...i'm about to get a 2003 1.8t jetta...i was wondering...i previously had a 95 turbo civic, and was using my HKS type 1 turbo timer, and i was wondering if it will work with the jetta, with the right harness, if they even make one....i was told that some timers have problems with jettas, so if somone could give me some feedback i'd appreciate it....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem with putting a turbo timer on your car is that you cannot arm the alarm on a 2002 or newer car while the turbo timer is on, so basically you have to stand there anyhow while it runs unless your cool with leaving it unlocked. They changed the wiring in the fuse box between 2001-2002. You can install on a 2001 or older 1.8T. There was a guy, owner of www.swankmonkey.com that was going to come out with a harness contraption that would allow you to wire the TT, but I don't think he ever came out with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
From what i've read, turbo timers are not really needed on the newer 1.8t's. But i understand that since you already have one why not put it on. I would think it would work with the right harness. I'm sure our expert 1.8t man Big Dong will chime in soon.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am no expert
). They were perfectly clean, no residue at all to speak of. Therefore, I would not worry that much about it. If you think it is a good idea, then when you are driving the car especially hard, park the car, get out and smoke a cigarette, do some cartwheels in the lawn, or go get the mail or something and when your done it should be cooled down to a point that it should be good.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
I am no expert
). They were perfectly clean, no residue at all to speak of. Therefore, I would not worry that much about it. If you think it is a good idea, then when you are driving the car especially hard, park the car, get out and smoke a cigarette, do some cartwheels in the lawn, or go get the mail or something and when your done it should be cooled down to a point that it should be good.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i posted on vtecatlanta...one of my other boards..and trey on there gave me this link to this guy who created a circuit to bypass the alarm...lemme know if you think it's a good idea
http://www.geocities.com/chaconlm/MWG_Trigger_Circuit.html

EDIT::watch the video also

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Chris19 ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If it works, then it is a good deal as it is not too expensive. What surprises me is that I have not seen anything on any of the VW forums about it, and there is definately a market for it. That could just be due to bad marketing though. If they market it properly, they could sell the hell out of that thing.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
The problem with putting a turbo timer on your car is that you cannot arm the alarm on a 2002 or newer car while the turbo timer is on, so basically you have to stand there anyhow while it runs unless your cool with leaving it unlocked. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure but from what ive read.. when your car is running you can simply lock the door by using the key in the keyhole (manually locking the door) dont know how this works with the alarm but the doors should lock

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:

not sure but from what ive read.. when your car is running you can simply lock the door by using the key in the keyhole (manually locking the door) dont know how this works with the alarm but the doors should lock
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But does your horn still go off when you lock it? if so then the alarm is set...
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I have 56,000 miles on my car, with over 40,000 chipped. I drive my car like a damn indy car every second I am behind the wheel.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe it or not most cars who are driven harder than the average car will last longer since you are bringing the engine through the RPM range nicely and a Sunday driver will not.

Also a good driver like you for example will take care of his car on a more intense maintenance schedule which keeps all parts in CHECK.

Speaking of good drivers... we had a german couple with a 10 year old Audi V6 Quattro that looked brand spanking new at 160,000 Miles!!!

Syntec all the way.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
But does your horn still go off when you lock it? if so then the alarm is set...
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont know if the alarm will be set but the doors are locked.... the stock alarm is junk anyway, exept for the whole starter disable thing

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey guys whats up...i'm new here...i'm about to get a 2003 1.8t jetta...i was wondering...i previously had a 95 turbo civic, and was using my HKS type 1 turbo timer, and i was wondering if it will work with the jetta, with the right harness, if they even make one....i was told that some timers have problems with jettas, so if somone could give me some feedback i'd appreciate it....

chris

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I agree the stock alarm is junk, now if they added a sensor motion to it like they do in Europe, then i would like it.
jon

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I agree the stock alarm is junk, now if they added a sensor motion to it like they do in Europe, then i would like it.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think there is a way to add it yourself if you really wanted too... i thought about it but im not exactly a electronics guy

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
i think there is a way to add it yourself if you really wanted too... i thought about it but im not exactly a electronics guy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Motion Sensor Install Guide <-----Click Here.

[ August 29, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

another reason i asked about that chip, is that i'm planning on doing the viper 790 alarm, so i was just asking tru dubbers oppinions..thanks

chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts