VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting voltage in the body of my car, on the firewall and it sits in the grounds on my firewall and when my exhaust taps my firewall it sparks. There is about 7 volts. I notice when I removed the cable from the battery fuse box that traces down to the relay panel under the dash the voltage drops all the way to 1.8 v, though I have no idea where the other 1.8v could be from, and I did find a blown fuse down in the relay panel. Do these wires on the battery fuse box go bad often? Car will not start and getting fuel injector short to ground codes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I'm getting voltage in the body of my car, on the firewall and it sits in the grounds on my firewall and when my exhaust taps my firewall it sparks.
>There are braided ground straps from the chassis to the engine and probably in other locations. I'd say one of these has broken or has a corroded connection.

With the battery disconnected, measure the resistance between the exhaust and the firewall, then switch the ohmmeter leads and measure again.

Dig the test prods into the grime-coated battery posts (not the clamp terminals) and measure the voltage while you try to crank the car.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
All the grounds from the motor are under the battery. Every single one.

I would clean the oem grounds(with a dremel grinder bit if you can) and replace them if you need to and make your own to protect sensors.
Ground the head and intake manifold to the chassis, that should help a lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I will try all that. Is there a chance that wire from the battery box has broken and is contacting the chassis which is giving it voltage?

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I think you would have more problems like the car wouldn't start then you would blow all kinds of fuses and there would be much more voltage than what you were getting.

Things that are getting power as they are supposed to probably aren't getting grounded very well, which leaves extra voltage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts