VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let's start at the beginning. I left for a trip to the middle east 6 months ago and the car was running. No great, never really has but running. My brother in law started driving it while I was gone because he had some life problems and it worked great for awhile. I got a message one day that the car broke down. I said fine, park it and I'll fix it when I get home. Well he took it upon him self to do some repairs. Apparently the car overheated and he found the hoses going to the heater core were leaking. So he changed them with generic NAPA hoses and in his infinite wisdom put water in it. About 2 weeks later the battery went out and since nobody was here to pin point the issue it sat till I got back.

I went and got a new battery and coolant from the VW shop and was prepared to flush it. So I drained out all the crap out, flushed and started to refill. It seemed odd to me but I did not know the quantity at the time but it only took half a gallon and it sat on the max mark. Again I did not know this thing holds way more than that. Took it for a spin and it was rough idle but ran fine above idle. Had a CEL so got the codes read and it was P0300, P0301, P0302 and P0303. So some serious misfire issues. Went and got some new coil packs and when I went to put them in there was oil on the bottom of them. So changed out the valve cover gasket and all was well except #2 would misfire at idle.

So I performed a compression check and it was not great. 1-135 2-90 3-135 and 4-185. Added a bit of oil to number 2 and it went up to 110. So put everything back together and took it for a spin again and all the sudden the temp gauge shot up. Looked and the coolant that was in the reservoir was gone. So put some more in and drove it again and same thing. That is when I decided to park it and investigate more. Took the dip stick out and had creamy oil. That did not convince me since the dipstick tube was broke for like a couple days so thought maybe some condensation got in there. Then took the valve cover off and more creamy oil. Took the PCV valve tube off and more creamy oil.

So after all this I am thinking head gasket. However I keep reading how rare it is to have a bad head gasket on this engine. I really do not want to dump hundreds of dollars in a head gasket if it is probably something else or more severe like a cracked head.

So just looking for some help, wisdom, word of the wise etc. I've all ready tore apart most of the head. Just need to order the special socket but I have not bought any parts yet as I am conflicted on the real issue. Attached are some pics of the creamy oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and there is some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Sometimes its really bad others it was subtle.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
the turbo might be blown. how many miles? when my turbo was on its last spool, i had that gunky build up, black liquid coming out of my exhaust, misfiring, horrible exhaust scent and white smoke. i was also losing a lot of oil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has 135k. Obviously haven't been able to drive it much but the oil level was spot on so I wouldn't say it's burning oil.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Looks sludged up. A lot of moisture in that oil. Looks like the whole pcv system is probably clogged.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
i would try the oil cooler before a head gasket job. a head gasket failure is a rare sight on a 1.8t

1 - 7 of 7 Posts