VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First let me just say I feel pretty dumb posting anything here considering my car is so goddamn basic compared to yours, but anyway. I purchased a Jetta GL 5sp Manual about a week ago, would have liked the Turbo at the very least, but I was in a hurry since my car at the time was malfunctioning and had to get rid of it already. The truth is, I am not too happy with the GL because of the speed issue, coming from a V6, it's pretty hard to get used to a 4 cylinder car and I really miss my old car now (Mazda MX6)

Don't get me wrong, I love everything else about this car, sound system (monsoon), interior, and the overall feel, but I wish there was something I could do gain more HP. I don't want to void the warranty because I think it will get to a point where I would like to trade it in for a faster model, but is there anything I can do to make this thing go faster? Yes, I know nothing about mechanics and up until recently I read about the so called 'easy to isntall' chips. Are these supposed to make any major difference and is it something that someone who doesn't know much about cars can install himself?

Also, another thing that makes me have second thoughts about this car is sites like these http://www.myvwlemon.com I know you can find people taking bad about just about anything you buy in life, but to go as far as making a site like this one makes me wonder. It really sucked when I read these cars are not even made in Germany or the US anymore, but in Mexico. So much for craftsmanship eh?

I would love to hear your input, thanks in advance

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: EvilKernel ]

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, some dubs are still made in Germany and some are made in Mexico. I'm not sure there is much you can do to a 2.0L without voiding the warranty. Although, as one of my friends says, "You still have the original parts? Then you still have a warranty!" Just keep all your stock parts, and put them on if you want to trade it in or something.

·
Registered
777 Posts
my friend, i saw the vwlemon sites myself before i bought my jetta, the truth is what the people are complaining about on there are fairly cheap and easy to fix parts, i read one about a man that said he had light knocking in the first 10k miles (obviously he was not putting premium fuel in it) others complain about a mass airflow sens, also replaceable with every day garage tools, and the ignition coil, you can get a race coil with a long garantee for a little over 150 bones...yes alot of american dubs are made in mexico, mine was and i have no problems out of it! so dont let them change your mind! ill leave the go-fast parts to some others becouse i am no pro on 2.0, but remember a 1.8 turbo can lay it to a vr6, imagine a 2.0 turbo

good luck!
-marc

[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Midnight VR6 ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there,

Yes, I guess I could keep the original parts< I thought about that. But what do you recommend for a GL 2.0? Is there anything one can do gain more HP? Are those chips worth the try and if so which do you recommend?

Thanx again

·
Registered
125 Posts
i have a 99 1/2 gls, 2.0, i started w/ a catback exhaust system, and a short air intake, very lil noticable diff, lil extra kick, prob 8 hp, you can also consider, replacing the cam, adding a chip, pullys, eventually if you have dough, a supercharger for 2,400+ istall, however, i like to focus for on exterior styling, take adavantage of the fact that your not gonna get alot of power out of the 2.0, swallow your pride, and through on a set of 18's nice wheels, drop it w/. a lowering kit, and some other accessories, will make it a head turner, believe me, if people only new i was pushing 125 out of mine, but they dont know,
i cruise around in second gear and the exhaust hums, like a million bucks!!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
test...

·
Registered
125 Posts
test.., haha sorry guys

·
Registered
125 Posts
one more test...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
Well, some dubs are still made in Germany and some are made in Mexico. I'm not sure there is much you can do to a 2.0L without voiding the warranty. Although, as one of my friends says, "You still have the original parts? Then you still have a warranty!" Just keep all your stock parts, and put them on if you want to trade it in or something.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had understanding that all vw engines are manufactured in germany. and the interior pieces and other parts are assembled in mexico and brazil...is this correct? my 2000 gti vr6 was completely made in germany. and that myvwlemon site was posted here a while ago. the guy sounds like a dick, but hey not everyone loves dubs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey vdub,

Thanx for the advice. I guess you're right. It would require a lot more than I think to get this going. It is what it is I guess. I getting some 17 wheels for it next week, lets see how happy that makes me
My brother has a GTI 1.8t and everytime I drive it, I get pissed at mine. His I go on first and the thing takes off. Mine I go on 1st and the thing barely moves. LOL I thought about taking it back and getting the 1.8 but I've put enought miles on it already, guess I'm fucked for now...

your ride looks nice...take care

1 - 10 of 10 Posts