VW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly buying an 03 jetta wolfsburg with 95K miles. Is there anything that i should be looking out for, is it reliable. Do not know much about them so any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything I should be wary of.

Thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
Looking at possibly buying an 03 jetta wolfsburg with 95K miles. Is there anything that i should be looking out for, is it reliable. Do not know much about them so any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything I should be wary of.

Thanks
At that age and mileage, the timing belt and water pump need to be changed if it hasn't been done yet.

Valve cover gasket and cam adjuster seals are probably leaking by now.
Check the front lower control arm bushings, the ones toward the rear, behind the front tire. They can tear and cause some unwanted noise and tire wear.

Check the parking brake cable for rust bubbles inside the rubber jacket, especially near the support bracket by the rear lower control arm pivot point.

Check the coolant flange on the driver side of the cylinder head. It's a black plastic piece with the coolant temp sensor and several coolant hoses attached to it. Look for any coolant leaks there.

Check the black PCV pipes and tubes. It starts at a large elbow on top of the oil filter housing and works its way up underneath the intake manifold and attaches to the end of the valve cover. Look for any cracked or broken pieces. At this age, they are VERY delicate and may break simply by touching them.

If any of these parts mentioned are original to the vehicle, they are either in need of replacement of will need to be replaced in the near future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts