VW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I place a new bulb in my brake light sockets on my tail lights, my third brake light stops working and brake lights don't work at all either. Third brake light works fine if there are no bulbs in other two brake light sockets. As soon as I make contact with a bulb and the sockets, the third brake light goes out and starts working again if I take out the bulbs. All other tail lights are working. Not sure how to fix this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm currently running into a similar issue on my 02 golf. I believe it's a wiring harness issue or corrosion on somewhere on the brake light bulb assembly. Posting updates when I figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm currently running into a similar issue on my 02 golf. I believe it's a wiring harness issue or corrosion on somewhere on the brake light bulb assembly. Posting updates when I figure it out.
Try a new brake light switch, I was told it could be at the end of life and the load of the bulbs is too much for it but the led on third brake light uses less power and therefore works. I haven’t tried it myself but will let you know if it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
try a brand new brake light switch, it fixed my issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
i’ve got something similar that just happened to me; i took off the panel on which all the bulbs are placed. on the right side i removed the bulbs to check what type they were but once i placed the panel back onto the taillight assembly, the steady red light doesn’t work anymore. the brake lights still work when i apply the brake pedal, however. and then just to make sure i didn’t place the bulbs in the wrong sockets by accident, i removed the left side and now that same (steady) light doesn’t work either. i am confusion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I changed my brake light switch and it solved all of brake light issues. I have an 02 golf and got the 4-pin switch. Not only did it restore my lower 2 lights functionality, the boot light is now full brightness. Before, the boot light seemed to have dead LEDs in the center but worked dimly both edges. It must've been the low voltage from the failing switch as vasyapoli suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts