VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a great deal on an 06 jetta 2.5 a few years back and love it. Only problem i have is the tranny; its automatic. Has anyone ever done/seen/heard of being able to swap a 6 speed manual in there?

thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
The 2.5 was only available with a 5 speed manual, so you may run into problems with interchangeability. Never heard of someone doing the swap.

Would be nice to have a 6 speed though.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
What are the pros and cons of an auto vs. a 6 speed, for you personally?

Then,
get the relevant dims and weights of both trannies,
figure out on paper the labor time & parts to make the 6 speed fit,
then figure the risk that you will be out all of the labor time & parts for the mod (this depends on your skills and knowledge) plus the small or zero risk that this mod will somehow damage your existing car.

In other words, look (ahead to the future) before you leap. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
swapping a transmission, as long as the 6 spd manual is MADE for the 2.5L MK5 Jetta and NOT (fits a MK5 VW Jetta -- a problem i have found, most times they do not fit) than you should not run into too many issues as far as removing and installing the new transmission. as far as the function ability of the transmission goes, the MK5 Jetta has an ECU strictly for monitoring and shifting the automatic transmission. you may want to look into and ECU flash tune that goes along with the new transmission to ensure that the car does not start throwing transmission problem codes. not to mention that you are going to have to modify the drive-side floor board to install the clutch, run the cables and hoses for the transmission cooling system and clutching. honestly it sounds like a great idea with a lot of headaches once you actually sit down and start thinking about all the parts, labor, cutting and fitting that has to be done. if it is something that you really want done i say GO FOR IT, i am a huge fan of modifying cars especially VW's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts