VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up in a colder part of the Canadia and just purchased a 2006 Jetta 2.5 a few months back. I may have made a grievous error.

Up until this week I had had heated underground parking, but now I'm stuck outside for the rest of the winter. The other night I checked the weather and it was supposed to drop to -26C, so I went out to plug in my car. No matter how much I searched around the front of the engine compartment where I would expect to find the plug, I could not. I am very lucky I coxed her into starting the next morning.

My question is this: Am I stupid because I can't find the plug, [where is it?] or am I stupid because I bought a car without a block heater? -_-"

I know the new 2011 Jettas with factory-installed block heaters have a plug built into the front bumper, am I not finding this plug?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You probably don't have one. You may have better luck posting this in the MK5 section as these cars are so different compared to the older ones.
Where abouts in Canada do you live?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I doubt you have one. You could by a battery or dipstick heater for a cheap solution

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woops, I came in through google and apparently I really misread that date range for the Mk IIIs.

I'm in Edmonton, and I'll definitely get a proper block heater put in. I just can't imagine anyone in this country (other than me apparently) that would buy a car with no block heater.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you go to Gregs Distributers in Edmonton they can get you in line heaters + pan heaters. Only problem with your year of car, only the dealer can offer a coolant jacket heater.

Check these guys out, they are what we were sending out on pretty much everything we were selling up to fort mac. It says diesel but most of it works great in gas cars too.

Diesel Cold Start Technology

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Woops, I came in through google and apparently I really misread that date range for the Mk IIIs.

I'm in Edmonton, and I'll definitely get a proper block heater put in. I just can't imagine anyone in this country (other than me apparently) that would buy a car with no block heater.
There are a lot of logistics involved with living in a really cold climate.

You guys are a tough and stubborn breed.:K:

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had the same problem bought a 06 jetta and no block heater on it and in edmonton as well do you guys now how hard is to put it on?? i mean i can get the part from gregs distributor and put it on i just dont know how much work does this involves

·
Registered
353 Posts
It depends what one you use. A oil pan heater is really easy to do, no mess. A coolant heater can be a little more involved and you're going to have to drain your coolant.
A coolant heater works best because it heats your cylinder walls and allows more heat to go to combustion.
A oil pan heater works well as your oil is warm and allows your engine to crank easier.
All a battery blanket does is keep your battery warm to provide longer cranking when it's cold.

This is what I have on my jetta-
Wolverine Engine Oil Heaters Engine Block Heater

When I commission new units for our fleet, they get a plug style heater, a oil pan heater and a battery blanket.
It saves me a few service calls as long as the operator remembers to plug it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts