VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me the difference in potential of these engines. Which one would b better ranked by 1st 2nd and 3rd

1.8L 8v, 2.0L 8v, or 2.0L 16v

Right now I have the 1.8L but I would like to know if it would b worth it for me 2 do a swap. If so which swap should I doand wut can I do to the engine. If not wut can I do to the 1.8L to make it really kick? holla back wit lots of info thanx!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Do you have an intake of any sort? That would help a little. As far as engine swaps, my opinion is if you're going to spend that much time and money, just get the car WITH the engine. Unless of course you're going to build a car for racing, then an engine swap is worth it. Try a 2.0 8v with a turbo, I saw one a coupla weeks ago and it's fasst, and the owner raced it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
price wise you can pick up a used 2.0 8v fairly cheap and in good running condition... saving you lots of cash for the performance parts you'll be wanting to get. but if tour gonna spend the flow to do a swap.... why not go for a vr6 or a 1.8t. the performance possibilities for these two engines far out number the 2.0 8v.
just a thought.... dont know what your looking to spend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hello,

here in Germany you pay for ccm...and so the most drivers get a 1.8ter egine...
i prefer the 16V 1.8ter this engine runs better than the 2.0 8V..;-))

Because you get here in German the 16V in three different forms..

16V with 40er
16V with 42,5er
16V with 50er

The Speed ist normaly the same, a little bit different, but the time to Speed is the different....;-)))

16V with 50er get the same like 16V 40er in addition with a DieselGetriebe...
;-))

·
Registered
830 Posts
It really all depends on what your goal is. If you want a little more power potential without having to throw down big numbers then a 2.0L 8V is probably your choice. If you are looking into making some nice power say 275hp+ then a 16V might be a better route to go. Also, you have to figure in reliability of the motor in which a 16V would need a little more TLC. There is alot of things to weigh in making your decision, but none more important then what you want performance wise from the car

1 - 5 of 5 Posts