VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a new car, but I'm sure whether I should get another vr6 or a 1.8... I really want the 6-speed transmission, but the sales guy said the 1.8 has a faster take-off and a higher top end... any suggestions?

·
Registered
158 Posts
what are your plans for the car?

1.8t is a tuners dream-

for a completely 1.8t biased opinion go here and read about the potential.
20VTURBO

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I suggest that you do a search on this. (at the top of the screen, there is a link: "SEARCH"-search in mk4 forum for "vr6 1.8T" or something like that-here is the link for that: search for mk4. There has been many posts on this topic. Basically, if you want straight power and not too much modding, go vr6. If you want to mod your engine, go 1.8T. Has lots of modding capabilities.

Oh and WELCOME TO THE VWF!!!

[ April 05, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I'm not sure about the 1.8t being faster off the line. I think you might want to look into that. Now as far as modifications go, for a small amount of money you can do a lot more with the 1.8T. The with the VR6, after you do a few airflow things (intake, exhaust etc) then you have to get into internal engine work, forced induction, or turbo's. but the VR6 DOES have a lot more potential. If you are going to keep the car stock, then you will be happier with the VR6 I think.

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey straz- are you living in daytona now? I was just down there for tuner bash 2 weeks ago- You're not to far from jax either, you should try to make it to one of our GTG. JAXDUBS Matter of fact there are some members from DUBTONA that make the drive as well.

[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: WU-CHILD ]

·
Registered
433 Posts
if you want to keep it pretty stock i would go with the VR6

if you want to mod your engine like said before the "1.8t is a tuners dream"

if money is no option to you and you want an insainly fast car the VR6 is right for you. also i have heard that the VR6 is so much of a better ride. it pulls hard through the gears. while the 1.8t is fast but i don't think it could keep up with the VR6

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by k2jetta98:
if money is no option to you and you want an insainly fast car the VR6 is right for you. also i have heard that the VR6 is so much of a better ride. it pulls hard through the gears. while the 1.8t is fast but i don't think it could keep up with the VR6<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was w/ you until the "couldn't keep up". While the VR6 may pull smoother, it does not pull harder. Not trying to start and VR v. 1.8T war but I walk my friends chipped VR w/ Intake and Exhaust. ALL DAY LONG.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The differences between a stock VR6 and the 1.8T can be made up by driver expereience although technically the 1.8T is faster off the line. That being said I have the VR6 with a six speed and love it. You can always put a turbo on a VR6 but you can't make more engine out of a 1.8.

·
Registered
158 Posts
that's the beauty of a purpose built FI motor, sometheing the VR6 is definately not intended for.

Simple fact that dollar for dollar you can tune the 1.8t easier. Let's put it like this , my same friend w/ the chip'd VR is getting the new VF SC=$4000 and paying another $1000 or so for install. If I could put up the cash right now for my stage III it will cost me about $4400 installed ($600 less). The end result is I will be somewhere near 300whp and he will be around 260whp.

But again , i'm not trying to feed the fire of the 1.8T v. VR6 war I love them both. The 1.8T just has more potential.

·
Registered
158 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimmyC:
The differences between a stock VR6 and the 1.8T can be made up by driver expereience although technically the 1.8T is faster off the line. That being said I have the VR6 with a six speed and love it. You can always put a turbo on a VR6 but you can't make more engine out of a 1.8.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

have you ever seen a stock K03? LOL It's about the size of a midget's fist.

TURBO UPGRADE my friend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts