VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how much horsepower a 1.8t can handle without any serious engine work (i.e. pistons, rings, etc..) i tried searching for an answer, but i must suck or something cause i couldn't find anything... thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bora2021:
In general 250-300 max.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can get more than that.
GO HERE and look under "ECS TUNING NEWS" or read this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
Starting with a stock APR Stage 3 kit, ECS has already expanded its power output to over 350 wheel horse power, a gain of more than 55hp wheel horsepower of a stock APR Stage 3 kit. New dyno testing promises nearly 400whp. All this power being produced on a stock 1.8T engine which has never been opened (stock head, crank, piston, crank).
[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks... i was expecting around 300 or so. I KNEW someone on here was bound to know something!!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
[ November 05, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn that would be fast - but how long can an engine that size push out that kind of power? Either way I'm jealous.....

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
...infinite, these are the engines of supercars after all. Billy T., of vortex fame, was pushing almost 500hp before blowing the engine. With no internal mods, and with the stock ecu, aftermarket chip os course (...and lots of bleeder valves!). I have the sport compact car article here somewhere, I'll post more when I find it.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
properly tuned with a TC - what can a VR6 get? I'd never want to have this kind of power in my car since I have to drive it all the time but I'm just curious. It seems that the extra displacement and cylinders would mean that the VR6 could take more hp and not die in the process...but the 1.8t continues to amaze me.....

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
properly tuned with a TC - what can a VR6 get? I'd never want to have this kind of power in my car since I have to drive it all the time but I'm just curious. It seems that the extra displacement and cylinders would mean that the VR6 could take more hp and not die in the process...but the 1.8t continues to amaze me.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Without a whole lot of internal work, I'd say upwards around 500-600hp.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
What about Raf's stock 2.0? If he did some mods do you think he could break into the triple digits?

Actually this thread reminds me of an argument I had yesterday. I was talking to this kid in one of my classes (who I can't stand), and was talking to him about turbos. He said how if I put one on my engine I would have to rebuild it and do new rings, seals, etc. I said my engine would handle it fine. He said "with an aftermarket turbo it would be putting out 18 or 20 lbs of boost." and he was like "a 1.8 couldn't handle that." then I pointed out that it's a VR, not a 1.8. He said "well I had a stage 3 on my eclipse and I needed to rebuild it." So I replied with "yeah but my car's not a piece of shit." And I told him how I know plenty of people pushing 20+ lbs of boost with stock internals. Then I had to leave.

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
What about Raf's stock 2.0?...
...I know plenty of people pushing 20+ lbs of boost with stock internals...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I could mod the 2.0. Yeah, I know some people pushing 20+psi spikes and holding at 16~18 lbs. At least thats what I hear.

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
I spike at 22psi, and hold 18-19psi to redline, unless good old limp mode rears it's ugly head.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats because you don't haven't done this.... http://www.izvw.com/overboost.html

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
I have this setup on my car. I like it a lot.

I am also curious to know how John Fryauff is holding 18-19psi at redline. These are boost levels held at redline with Stage III kits w/ larger injectors, fpr, and fuel pumps. Even before I put the overboost system on my car w/ the N75 simply plugged in with no hoses attached, with the MBC I was holding 14psi at redline. Do you have the MAP sensor clamped with a diode? Is it truly holding 18-19psi at 6500rpms? I have never seen someone do this on a K03 without clamping the MAP sensor, and even then it is not wise because the stock injectors and fuel pump will not be able to supply enough fuel at those rpms to keep a stoich mixture. If this is true, I would suggest you log a block 002 w/ a vagcom or get a hold of a wideband 02 sensor to see what your a/f mixture is.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I apologize, I should clarify. What I meant by holding 18-19 till redline, was that up until the point of redline (6200 rpm, or so), it holds 18-19psi. It then will slowly drop to about 11-12psi, so i'm not clamping the MAP, and my a/f is fine.

...and it's Josh, not John

[ November 06, 2003: Message edited by: Josh Fryauff ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Thats because you don't haven't done this.... http://www.izvw.com/overboost.html<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have this setup on my car. I like it a lot.

I am also curious to know how John Fryauff is holding 18-19psi at redline. These are boost levels held at redline with Stage III kits w/ larger injectors, fpr, and fuel pumps. Even before I put the overboost system on my car w/ the N75 simply plugged in with no hoses attached, with the MBC I was holding 14psi at redline. Do you have the MAP sensor clamped with a diode? Is it truly holding 18-19psi at 6500rpms? I have never seen someone do this on a K03 without clamping the MAP sensor, and even then it is not wise because the stock injectors and fuel pump will not be able to supply enough fuel at those rpms to keep a stoich mixture. If this is true, I would suggest you log a block 002 w/ a vagcom or get a hold of a wideband 02 sensor to see what your a/f mixture is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts