VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure the topic has been addressed over and over... but what kind of experience do some of you have with chipping 1.8T's... good &/or bad...? and who would you recommend going with?
BTW just posted new pics in showoff section of my 4 dr transformation... check it out...
Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
291 Posts
when i get mine im getting an APR direct port. Supposed to be the best out of them all. other good ones are the GIAC and REVO ones...havent had experience with them but this is just what ive heard.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Had APR, and Upsolute; they were nice as far as drivalbility, but just weren't procucing what I was looking for. I now have the GIAC v.10, it is raw, and the power is instantanious. I perfer the GIAC obviuosly, but haven't tried REVO, and have heard nothing but good things about them.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
go for apr's direct port programming or revo. they basically do the same thing and are both undetectable by dealerships, which is a good thing if you are under warranty.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Don't kid yourself guys...the chips aren't undetectable....we can tell by looking at things...don't try and fool the dealer that you aren't chipped if you are...even though you might have stock modes (APR and REVO)...we can tell just by looking at your workshop code...if its not a valid dealer # thats a dead giveaway. Make sure you are going to a Mod friendly dealer...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Make sure you are going to a Mod friendly dealer...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like me. They just say "what chip" when i need to get something fixed. But i'm almost done with the warrenty

jon

·
Registered
97 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Don't kid yourself guys...the chips aren't undetectable....we can tell by looking at things...don't try and fool the dealer that you aren't chipped if you are...even though you might have stock modes (APR and REVO)...we can tell just by looking at your workshop code...if its not a valid dealer # thats a dead giveaway. Make sure you are going to a Mod friendly dealer...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you can tell if someone has the direct port APR or REVO?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rubbadubdub:
So you can tell if someone has the direct port APR or REVO?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Make sure you are going to a Mod friendly dealer...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To everyone:

Do not be scared of dealerships "voiding" your warranty because you have a chip.... it violates Federal Law, in particular the Magnuson and Moss Act. Just because you have a chip in NO WAY constitutes a warranty being voided in any way, shape or form. It is like the dealer saying for example "well you have a bad strut bearing, but since you installed a aftermarket chip in your car we can not cover the work", this would be a time when you would call bullshit (excuse my French
). In no way did you alter the strut bearings longevity, replace it or even mess with it so therefore it is there problem. They have no way in proving that the chip caused (or is even related to the strut bearing) the problem. So what I am saying is the dealership can not just up and void a warranty because you altered the car. The only way a warranty can be voided is if the aftermarket part was the direct cause of the problem at hand. Tuning a car (especially a turbo car) comes with responsibilities, being that if you increase hp, suspension geometry, combustion enviroment, whatever....you must be man enough to stand behind the parts you added. You added them, no one else made that decision. But if a dealer trys to pull warranty voiding without probable cause then you have to know when to shut them up. The best way to do that is with this link.....
Warranty Violation. The best way to protect yourself is with knowledge and this will help you out (along with other links on the site). When I first got my 2000 GTi VR6 the dealer tried the "well the suspension is changed so you are through with your warranty" bull. Once I discussed with them my rights the story then changed. To that I would like to give a big shout out to J. Bertolet Volkswagen Service Department for trying to screw me every chance they got

[ October 22, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]

[ October 23, 2003: Message edited by: evilgti2000 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts