VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching what would be involved in doing a 1.8T engine swap on my 2003 Golf. Yeah, I know I should have just bought one to begin with, but cash at the time just wasn't there. I'm looking for info on sourcing the engine/parts, installers, what I can expect to pay, time it would take to execute, etc.

Any links or wisdom on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Number6:
I am researching what would be involved in doing a 1.8T engine swap on my 2003 Golf. Yeah, I know I should have just bought one to begin with, but cash at the time just wasn't there. I'm looking for info on sourcing the engine/parts, installers, what I can expect to pay, time it would take to execute, etc.

Any links or wisdom on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pick up a copy of eurotuner magazine for this month. They did a special on engine swap.

·
Registered
433 Posts
if money isn't really a problem like it was before instead of doing the 1.8t swap you should just sell your car and buy a 1.8t gti. the swap isn't cheap. here is a place in cali i believe that is just whatt you are looking for if you really want to go through with the swap. link

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh. This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Keep it coming!

There is another vairiable that needs to be known. There is a rather unsympathetic WIFE involved here. For whatever reason she simply won't let me trade my car in. However, if an engine swap costs less than a replacement car, she might actually go for that. Weird, huh? Maybe I should try to get a low milage 1.8T Golf and transfer my goodies over to that?

I'll grab that Eurotuner ASAP.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yeah, your best bet is to try and find a low mileage used Golf or GTI 1.8T, and build that. Engine swaps are worth it into Mark 1 and 2 cars...Mark 3 is pushing it (available with VR6 power), and Mark 4 cars are still in production...

4 door Golf 1.8Ts are getting harder to find though...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I should just get the Neuspeed blower and be done with it.

I'M SO CONFLICTED!

·
Registered
433 Posts
if your just going to go forced induction on your 2.0 at least do a turbo not a SC especially the neuspeed. 2.0t's rock!
vw turbo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by k2jetta98:
if your just going to go forced induction on your 2.0 at least do a turbo not a SC especially the neuspeed. 2.0t's rock!
vw turbo
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be my first choice, but they aren't legal in California. Last thing I need is to have my car impounded because I WILL get pulled over. Its inevitable.

That's part of why I was thinking 1.8T swap in the first place. I could even put a bigger turbo on and that would be legal since the car was a turbo to begin with. I spoke to a guy at Group 5 here in San Diego about it for a while. The impound scenario he described was pretty scary.

Is there a problem with the Neuspeed SC? While mellow (I'm guessing because of the high compression of the 2.0) on the boost, it SEEMS like a good product. What am I missing here?

[ February 18, 2004: Message edited by: Number6 ]

·
Registered
433 Posts
i had no idea that turboing your car in Cali. is illegal, that really sucks. well there really isn't anything wrong with the neuspeed SC, its just i have heard mixed reviews of it like not worth the money for the gains and such, but to each his own. You should look at VF engineering, more expensive, but at least there are different stages for theirs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by k2jetta98:
i had no idea that turboing your car in Cali. is illegal, that really sucks. well there really isn't anything wrong with the neuspeed SC, its just i have heard mixed reviews of it like not worth the money for the gains and such, but to each his own. You should look at VF engineering, more expensive, but at least there are different stages for theirs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya see? This is why I love this forum!

Ooh! That VF system does look nice. I will look into that more closely. EIP also makes a stage 2 turbo that puts some good numbers to the wheels as well. I need to investigate this whole "turbos not legal on non turbo cars" thing a little more closely. I can't see why superchargers are just fine (VF seems to suggest theirs is legal) but turbos are not. Seems silly to me.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The one thing that Neuspeed can boast about is they make a lot of stuff that is 50 state 100% legal. The SC probably isn't all that bad. I would look into the VF though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If nothing else, I really like the look of the VF system. The upgradeability is a definite plus too. Since their systems are built and distributed in CA, it is probably safe to say they are legal here. EIP does not have CARB exemption in CA for their system, so that's out.

After a bit more reading, it looks like the big difference between SC and turbo (as far as CA legality goes) is that turbos interact more directly with emissions control systems than a super charger does. That reasoning seems much less silly to me.

At this point I think its safe to say that the engine swap is out, and a some flavor of super charger is in. Thanks again for all the help and advise everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts