VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that this has been done already, many times, but i still want to hear more opinions, especially Dakodas because he is touchy on the VR6 swap topic. I have a 2.0 that just broke the 100k mark yesterday. I know that I still have many many more miles and smiles out of my underpowered lump, but i plan on commuting a long distance for the next two years and will be racking up a lot of mileage. I wanted to drop in a 1.8T from a passat or older A4. Is it worth it if I still have the small brakes and four lug hubs? Thanks

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Haha, now theres an idea I like. The 1.8t into the mk3 (longitud.) isn't as hard as many people think. Power is great, and tuneability of endless. I would recomend converting to 5lug and getting a big break kit(or vr6/g60 brakes) altho it is not required. Price for the 1.8t and the vr6 swaps would be pretty close.
You ask if it would be worth it, you tell me...Poping your hood at a GTG/Show to expose your polished 1.8t in your mk3 body. To me, that would be so worth it. The 4-5lug conversion is cheep, and if you have rear drum, its about 500$ to convert to disk.

Today, many of us learned about the option of a 20v head on the aba block. You may want to consider that as an option also, the CR is setup for F/I so a 2.0 20vT would be pretty damn nice.

1.8t in MK3's still is one of the coolest swaps to me...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome dude, thats what I wanted to hear.
I'll have to research what you meant by the block and head swap.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Heres the deal on the whole 20V head.

The 20V head will bolt up to an ABA or later 2.0 crossflow block. Which means, if you can solve any engine management issues that may arise, you can bolt it up, and it will work. The only real difference between the 1.8T and 2.0 is the head. They do make NA 20V heads for use overseas...the rest of the engine is relatively the same.

Also, FYI: The ABA is a tall deck design. The AEG and subsequent 2.0s are of a short deck design, which means the block is shorter to clear lower hood lines. If hood clearance isn't an issue, you definately want the ABA block, preferably an early one (94-95) due to the presence of oil squirters for the pistons.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
If you put a 20v head onto a ABA block there's a few things you should know.

#1 Your compression ratio will be low, good for a turbo, not good for anything else.

#2 The pistons will hit the valves, and they will need to be notched, if it's even possible to notch them for the 20v. The top ringland is pretty short and doesn't leave much room. You may need to buy custom pistons.

#3 Not sure if the 1.8t came with forged pistons but I know the ones in the ABA are cast, and after 96 the crank is cast and weak. They also didn't have oil squirters after '96. These all limit what you can do with the motor, and risk kaboom.

The early Audi A4 "AEB" 1.8t bolts into the MK3, and the 2L pulleys are the proper ones for the swap. Really the 1.8t into the MK3 is a very easy swap.

The lazy way to do it is to use the stock 2L trans and all the stock parts with an upgraded clutch. The right way to do it is to use a G60 Corrado trans, clutch and flywheel, VR6 MK3 pedals, shifter and clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
414 Posts
man, i am trying to do that swap myself. I am gathering reading materials and parts and saving money to start on it early next year.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Could you use 1.8t piston in the aba block? Would that solve the problem of clearance?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bore is too small on the 1.8t piston and the wrist pin is in the wrong place (and the wrong size).

Custom pistons run about $125 each.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Thank You Aaron. So what would you recomend? The 2.0aba 20v or a stright up 1.8t(aeb)?
Also, doesn't the aeb drop in easier in the mk3 body?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Thank You Aaron. So what would you recomend? The 2.0aba 20v or a stright up 1.8t(aeb)?
Also, doesn't the aeb drop in easier in the mk3 body?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd go with an AEB. Drive by cable, with the transverse intake manifold from a MK4. I know someone around here has the link to the 1.8t into a MK2 shell instuctions. I seem to have lost that link. You can pretty much follow that. The 2L pulleys work, although I think the crank pulley needs to machined. Futrell offers the machining service. You get to use all your accessories that way.

As far as the 20v head ABA block thing. It's really hard to do without pistons, and depending on the year of the car the shortblock could be one of the later, weaker years.

Food for thought though... the 16v head bolts up to the ABA, the valves clear, and it creates a perfect compression ratio for turbocharging.

P.S.: Dakoda... I should have your turbo in my hands by the end of this weekend. When my friend told me he had it he didn't tell me it was at his girlfriends house 4 hours south of here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 87cabriolet:
man, i am trying to do that swap myself. I am gathering reading materials and parts and saving money to start on it early next year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, let me clarify that. I am trying to do the 1.8t mk3, not the 2.0 swap.

·
Registered
380 Posts
sorry if i sound stupid but what i get from the reading is that the 20v conversion is only for the mk3 or can it be done on the mk4 also? If so who produces the custom pistons? What else needs to be changed? and Why would you put a corrado tranny into a mk3 if the corrado is older? (used or new)?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoLLinVDub:
sorry if i sound stupid but what i get from the reading is that the 20v conversion is only for the mk3 or can it be done on the mk4 also? If so who produces the custom pistons? What else needs to be changed? and Why would you put a corrado tranny into a mk3 if the corrado is older? (used or new)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't sounds stupid... good questions.

The 20v conversion can be done to a just about anything, but "20v" pretty much means "1.8t" and why wouldn't you just buy a 1.8t MK4? You can swap it into anything. I've seen a Ford Focus wagon with a 1.8t in it (crazy.. very intense swap), it'll bolt right into a diesel Vanagon, MK1, 2, 3, Fox, Passat early Dodge Omni... the list goes on and on.

JE, Ross, Arias and a couple others all make custom pistons. Some require a sample piston, some want drawings, while JE usually has everything on file and you can just say "I want these valve reliefs on a piston this big around that fits in this block... etc"

The Corrado trans is an 02A. It's cable shifted and uses a larger hydraulic clutch. It's stronger and smoother. The 02J used in MK4s is also a good choice although it's a little harder to mount. The VR6 MK3 used a cable shifted trans as well, so parts like the shift box and mounts make the install very easy. The reason for the G60 Corrado trans is that the VR6 trans wont bolt to the 1.8t block.

Hope that helps. Learning is fun.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, this is a sh!tload of information. I am going to save this link for when i plan on doing it later on in life. thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts