VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 A4 and had a forge DV. I hated the maintenance issue, it was a bit of a hassle. I found a simple solution, the TT Diverter Valve works in all 1.8T engines and costs about $45. The TT DV is better than the others. It is the 710-N model # I think. It is the only one they offer for the TT. I have the apr chip and exhuast and it works great and there is no maintenance. I was told about it by some of the apr stage 3 1.8t owners. A lot of them use it and push around 290hp so there were no doubts about my ~210hp 1.8t. Just wanted to share that with everyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by m of team sand s:
Raf,how is the car working after the chip install?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I just kept up with a friend's Acura TL typeS (260 ponies stock, he is lightly modded) on the parkway. It was an ezpass sprint and he couldn't pull away.
On his ARSE! I can't wait to get the mail from mr. carbonio!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
Hey Raf you should change you sig text, it doesn't sound like you're stock anymore, plus APR chip ARE something to brag about.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by das boot:
Hey Raf you should change you sig text, it doesn't sound like you're stock anymore, plus APR chip ARE something to brag about.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe, I just changed it to that. I'll just leave it blank form now on I think. Hehe!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather1.8T:
I want a blow off valve for a 03' Jetta 1.8... Where can I get it from, what make is good... And how much??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard bad things about blowoff valves and 1.8t engines. I was looking into getting one for my a4 but some vw owners that had one told me about problems that they had, lack of power, gas mileage, running rough and stuff. I would not get one if I were you. You will get a little phssssst sound on a dv if you are chipped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 87cabriolet:
I have a 98 A4 and had a forge DV. I hated the maintenance issue, it was a bit of a hassle. I found a simple solution, the TT Diverter Valve works in all 1.8T engines and costs about $45. The TT DV is better than the others. It is the 710-N model # I think. It is the only one they offer for the TT. I have the apr chip and exhuast and it works great and there is no maintenance. I was told about it by some of the apr stage 3 1.8t owners. A lot of them use it and push around 290hp so there were no doubts about my ~210hp 1.8t. Just wanted to share that with everyone.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I'm not mistaken all 1.8T's made after 2002.5 already have the better Audi DV installed. Although it works "better" than previous models, one should still count on replacing it eventually. I am thinking about putting it back on the GTI this weekend and selling my HKS BOV. Although I have not lost power (that I can feel) a CEL came on after about 12k chipped miles.


[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: cyaneye ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
500 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather1.8T:
I want a blow off valve for a 03' Jetta 1.8... Where can I get it from, what make is good... And how much??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you don't want a BOV for the 1.8T. You want to DV (Diverter Valve). The difference is that a BOV vents straight into the atmosphere, where as the DV vents mostly back into your intake. The purpose of this is so the MAF can get a reading of the turbo performance and tell your ECU how to run the car. DV's also supposedly reduce lag since it's blowing back into the intake, but I'm not too convinced on that. Also, lag is not really an issue with a k3 or k3 sport. Regardless, a DV won't make your Check Engine light come on, and it's better for your dub.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,420 Posts
Since I am looking to buy a 1.8T soon, can someone explain to me the exact differences between a BOV and a DV and the pro's and con's of each?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,881 Posts
A BOV shoots the excess boost when you let off the gas into the atmosphere (under your hood) and a DV diverts it back into the intake path to recycle. I think it is based on trying to get precompressed air back into the system quickly between shifts, thats where the DV came from, b/c eveeryone used to use BOV's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather1.8T:
I want a blow off valve for a 03' Jetta 1.8... Where can I get it from, what make is good... And how much??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you want a blow off valve sound just get a cold air intake. the sound that comes from the dv after the intake is installed is insane!! it's loud as hell, especially if you chip your car!

and brett your better off with a dv than a bov. i heard of someone stalling with a bov on the highway because the air wasn't being recirculated back into the intake. also many say that there is a loss in power because of the lack of air going back into the intake path.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyaneye:
If I'm not mistaken all 1.8T's made after 2002.5 already have the better Audi DV installed. Although it works "better" than previous models, one should still count on replacing it eventually. I am thinking about putting it back on the GTI this weekend and selling my HKS BOV. Although I have not lost power (that I can feel) a CEL came on after about 12k chipped miles.


[ July 28, 2003: Message edited by: cyaneye ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Ya you are right, and the audi tt one still blows!!! Mine went after 6700 miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rubbadubdub:

Ya you are right, and the audi tt one still blows!!! Mine went after 6700 miles
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


I hear ya. I put my stock DV back on yesterday after running the HKS for 15k and will be waiting to see how long it lasts. My boost is still holding as well as when the HKS was on. So we'll see.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
[QB]if you want a blow off valve sound just get a cold air intake. the sound that comes from the dv after the intake is installed is insane!! it's loud as hell, especially if you chip your car!QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is true, specially when mr apr is on.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top