VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much power do you all think it would be possible for a GTi 1.8T to gain (or have total) from the following mods:

•Neuspeed P-Flow
•Neuspeed 1.8T High-Flow Turbo Intake
•Neuspeed 1.8T High-Flow Turbo Downpipe
•Neuspeed K04 Turbo Upgrade Kit
•Freedom Design Turbo Bypass Valve
•Blitz SBC iD Boost Controller
•Blitz Power Meter iD
•JETEX MK4 Golf Stainless Steel Exhaust System
•ABD Racing 1.8T Front Mount Intercooler for MKIV Golf/Jetta
•ABD Racing 4 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator

I haven't really read much as to what the full potential of the 1.8T motor is... that's why I'm asking this question.
lol I'm kind of hopeful that with proper air/fuel tuning and possibly increasing the boost levels somewhat, that the GTi should be able to put out 450 horsepower ... or more. Anyone know if that mark is possible, or if I'd be able to surpass it? Or am I just dreaming? lol

Thanks, in advance, for any replies.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, first off. Take all that Neuspeed garbage off the list, it will only break and f**k things up. Second. there is a GTI here in Texas that is runing about 530 HP, but hes got titanium pistons, a new bottom end, and a lot of other stuff like that. Bolt on, I would say you are safe up to the high 200's, but anything above that and your internals are gonna fry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be easier and/or more cost effective to mod the heck out of a 1.8T or mod a VR6? I remember seeing a company that did turbo/twin-turbo mods for the VR6 ... I can't remember who though, lol.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I think its awesome that you are even thinking about so many mods to your ride to reach 450hp.

You'll have to forgive me for this but why get the car if you are only going to mod the crap out of it?

Forgive me, I'm just jealous.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, currently I have a 2002 V6 Firebird ... and even though it's a V6, and stock, it still gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, and it's extremely uneconomical (if that's even a word, lol). Basically, my whole motive for getting a GTi, or maybe even a Jetta, is because they can hold more people, they're luxurious, they're economical, and they're still fast to boot. I know if I mod it the gas mileage will go down anyway, but at least it won't get any worse than what the Firebird gets ... which is about 10 MPG, lol. Anyway ... back to the task at hand: What would be better performance-wise, the 1.8T or VR6? For top-end horsepower/torque limits. Also, what tuners would be good to look into? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Well, if you are going all out, get the VR6. Displacement always wins. Yes there are a few companies that make the twin turbo upgrade for the VR6, but if you're gonna spend that much money, get the S4 Audi with the 2.7L Twin turbo, there are 400 HP versions of that rollin all over the place. Check out www.goapr.com they are probably the most notable turbo upgrader for Audi and VW. Keep in mind, a 450HP GTI will probably get about 10 MPG as well, you'll have to pump in so much gas to fire the thing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
www.eiptuning.com has some great kits for upgradeing the vr6 or the 1.8T and if your looking for any hp higher than 400 you'd have to bore the 1.8 to a 2.0... but if you want to go all out i'd definately recommend the vr6 turbo kits...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xBLooDSaLVaTioNx:
Well, currently I have a 2002 V6 Firebird ... and even though it's a V6, and stock, it still gets HORRIBLE gas mileage, and it's extremely uneconomical (if that's even a word, lol)....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You also would save money on insurance, compared to the Firebird.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very good point, TF242! I didn't even stop to think about insurance ... good thing someone brought it up, lol. Anyway, thanks for all the replies everyone. The help's been much appreciated. I think I'm leaning towards a Jetta GLX VR6. Anyone know how well the 5-spd. Automatics hold up against massive loads of power? lol Anyway, thanks again for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Whatever you do. Make sure you make a list of all the mods you are planning to do and sum up the parts cost and labour cost. Then take another piece of paper and right down on it the Golf R32 MSRP. Then think... think hard. HEHEHE. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yah, that's a good idea TF lol What IS the MSRP going to be on the R32, anyway? I don't think I remember reading that it's going to come in an Automatic version ... or is it? lol

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
That is custom color on that Jetta with the Caractere body kit. My grille is from the same kit. Hint: look closely and you will see the freaking layers and layers of clear coat to make that puppy shine as hell. I love these pics. They did infuence me to get that grille. And for the longest time I was going to get the same kit, but I don't like the rear bumber at all. (especially for the money they want).

The MSRP on R32 will be just under $30 US.

Look at my field work in the Xtras section of this forum. I posted 29 pics of it there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow ... just under $30k ... I must say, though, those are some GREAT pictures TF! lol That Blue on the R32 is just beautiful ... and I really love that it has a V6 and dual exhaust.
Well, I guess I'll just have to wait until we get more information on the R32 and when it's coming out, etc. until I can make a final decision, lol. Thanks for all the info everyone.

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Well, first off. Take all that Neuspeed garbage off the list, it will only break and f**k things up. Second. there is a GTI here in Texas that is runing about 530 HP, but hes got titanium pistons, a new bottom end, and a lot of other stuff like that. Bolt on, I would say you are safe up to the high 200's, but anything above that and your internals are gonna fry.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, I totally agree with fli, there are other companys that make the same stuff as neuspeed that is just as good, and much cheeper. IMO, with neuspeed, all your paying for is the name.

Second, doesn't APR have their stage 3 turbo kit for the VW 1.8T that makes about 290hp on stock internals? Go to the VW part of their web-site, and it shows it running 12's in the 1/4, and that one just has the stage 3, nothing else! Plus, they have the EMCS II technology that lets you switch between programs. That way you can role around on "stock" mode and still get 15+mpg city driving (with a 450hp car) and then, flop it back over to "chipped" mode to spank the ricer revin on ya.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
First off, I totally agree with fli, there are other companys that make the same stuff as neuspeed that is just as good, and much cheeper. IMO, with neuspeed, all your paying for is the name.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree with both of you on that one. The only companies that make the "SAME" stuff will be not cheaper. The companies that claim that it is the same stuff will be... Big difference there. A lot of companies claim they have 20 to 30 HP gains, how many really do? You get what you pay for. Period.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I agree that you get what you pay for, but I also think you have to look at where the part comes from. In the case of APR, they are a bunch of Engineers, who use there skills on performance modifications. If you look around their site, they have dyno's video's, customer comments, and offer tours to back that up. The biggest complaint that I have with Neuspeed is that I don't know where their technology comes from. For all we know, it could just be grease monkey technology. They read how a part does this or that, and then they make one of their own. Now having never owned a Neuspeed anything, I cant say wether that belief is true or not, but that IS the reason I will never buy Neuspeed.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
So you honestly think that Neuspeed products are made by some grease monkey?

It is interesting to see Neuspeed come up with the mods and accessories first (most of the time) not bad for a grease monkey right?

I like APR products, and I love Neuspeed products... TM Tuning and RSD, but I never owned APR and I did hear some people complain about APR... will I make my decision based on another person's experience? Probably not, for what I know they installed it wrong, defective part, etc.

What I am getting at is this: (And please don't confuse me with a Smart Ass, this is my opinion based on MY experience)

Unless you try it for yourself there is only so much you can honestly say as far as an opinion goes. I never form a 100% conclusion on somebody else's opinion or experience.

GM Cavalier for example. While I was in High School I owned a brand new 94 cavalier. It was a piece of shit and a lemon. My opinion is that all cavalier products suck. However my friend owned one same year and he loved it. I hope you get my points, I am not trying to argue, just to shed some light on the nonsense bashing of Neuspeed. They are very good in engineering and average supplier or reseller of OEM VW parts as far as pricing goes. I can list at least 5 mods that Neuspeed came up before any other company did for the MK4 for example.

Other then that...for your opinion base it more on your own experience not someone else's.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
844 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
GM Cavalier for example. While I was in High School I owned a brand new 94 cavalier. It was a piece of shit and a lemon. My opinion is that all cavalier products suck. However my friend owned one same year and he loved it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, he's just wasn't as well versed when it come to fine automobiles as you.

I base my opinion on this (and these are just a couple of example):

Neuspeed 28mm front swaybar: $319
ABD Racing 28mm front swaybar: $240

Same product, same specs, same material, but a $79.00 difference.

Neuspeed Sport lowering springs: $260
H&R Race springs/Sport springs: $190

Like I said, IMO with Neuspeed, you pay too much for the name.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:

I base my opinion on this (and these are just a couple of example):

Neuspeed 28mm front swaybar: $319
ABD Racing 28mm front swaybar: $240

Same product, same specs, same material, but a $79.00 difference.

Neuspeed Sport lowering springs: $260
H&R Race springs/Sport springs: $190

Like I said, IMO with Neuspeed, you pay too much for the name.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I take it you would take the 200HP Cavalier over the 200HP VW right?

If the specs would be the same...?

By the way the 28mm seems too much for a front sway bar (MK4 wise) maybe you meant rear, but that's beyond the point.

I say it again... It depends on the personal experience how you like the part or mod unless you can prove it side by side that the specs and quality are the same.

Here is another dubber who seems to enjoy Neuspeed as well. (I have the same springs and plans for the bars).

FEEDBACK

Guys please don't get me wrong... I am not telling you Neuspeed is the best "S#%%it" in the world. What I mean is don't bash it if you don't know better from your own experience, because there are people out here who have Neuspeed and are very very satisfied with the performance for the money. So I would not call it "garbage" and besides it didn't f#%% up anything in 1.5 years time yet.

[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts