VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i dont have a turbo timer but usually let my car run for like 30-45 seconds after im done driving. also i heard that our alarms and door locks dont work while the car is running(so ud have to wait around ur car until it shuts off), never tried it and dont knw how reliable the sources are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay, thanks, i'm going to keep researching this over at 20vturbo, but that's a new point to look out for, again, Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey just a question; I leave mine running before moving first thing in the morning, but I did hear i should leave it running after. any particular reason?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
from what i know, it is to let the hot oil drain from the hot side of your turbo. it is supposed to prolong the life of your turbo. but i guess the guys at vw know there $h!t so i dont think its a big deal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAH ok thanks. Oh, and i leave it running in the morning until the revs dip below 1k...it takes about a minute or two...should i leave it more? Anyone know the technical reason why it spins faster before?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
The RPM's are higher for the same reason that an older car had a choke on it that you left on when it was cold. It causes the fuel mixture to lean up, making it burn hotter, to get the engine warmed up quicker.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use one on my supra tt, but it's really not necessary. It's simple enough to just sit in the car for a minute or two before turning it off. If you are just driving normally, not high revs or racing, just shut the car down after you stop. If you are running it hard, it's a good idea to let it run for a minute or two before shutdown. The turbo's are oil cooled and if you shutdown after a hard run, the hot oil "cokes" in the lines and leaves deposits which inhibits the flow of oil. Just my $.02

[ December 03, 2002: Message edited by: Brian D. ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had onn my 00 GTI. I got it cause i found myself to be lazy, and not want to sit in my cr for a minute or two. If you have a 1.8T, i recomend one. Not hard to install at all, if you've worked with basic electronics before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts