VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay.... i'm going to go out on a limb on this one, but i'm ready to assume that NO ONE here has a turbo timer. Alright, i just answered my own question.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I don't have a turbo timer yet, I plan on getting one. Since i have a chip that bumps up the boost, it should help cool it down.
jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't mean to double post, but i figured that this would be a better spot for this question... anyway, to those of you who have a 1.8T powerplant, how many of you have a turbo timer installed?

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Leiger 4 ]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a turbo timer. I juss recently installed it about a week ago. It works great and the install aint that hard. I have the apexi.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I was under the impression that the turbo timer would only really help if it ran a fan across the oil cooler. After all, the hot oil and "cool" oil will naturally continue to cycle until a static temperature is created, but without airflow over the cooler, it wont really make any difference. Can someone explain to me why a turbo timer works, and how much effectiveness it has?

·
Registered
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
I was under the impression that the turbo timer would only really help if it ran a fan across the oil cooler. After all, the hot oil and "cool" oil will naturally continue to cycle until a static temperature is created, but without airflow over the cooler, it wont really make any difference. Can someone explain to me why a turbo timer works, and how much effectiveness it has?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where a turbo timer really comes into play is after hard driving. The only real function of a turbo timer is to bring the oil back to idling temp. If you have a oil temp of 300 degrees after hard driving and a temp of 200 degrees at idle which would you rather expose your bearings too on shut down? IMO, a turbo timer is only useful to a person if they drive hard all the time for long periods of time. Of course what can it hurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts