VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 VW Passat 1.8t 5 speed . Ran great when I got it but the cam Tensioner guides were slapped silly which made it sound like a chainsaw. I replaced whole Cam Tensioner unit and then it smoked so bad. Also cleaned oil pump screen as it is what messed up my Tensioner unit. It then smoked so bad ..turns out now that I'm getting oil pumping to my Turbo the seal blew out of it and oil started dripping into my Cat. I ran it just a little over a week with it smoking till I could find a New Turbo. Finally it just shut down on me. I then got and installed a New Turbo..no smoke but ended up with a rough idle and CEL and multiple misfire codes in all 4 cylinders and lean bank code. The rough idle smooths out when I give it gas or I'm driving. If I just let it set and idle for a while I can smell what seems to be a bunch of burnt fireworks..not sulfer. My boost gauge needle vibrates and studders so fast at idle and the rpms seem low. I also have to give it more gas than usual to get it going(5speed). I checked vacuum lines replaced a few and replaced some check valves. What gets me..the idle was fine even with the turbo seal leaking. I know this had of happened to someone and they can tell me what I need to do. I'm lucky to get 12lbs of boost out of my new Turbo..not sure what a stock 1.8t should have. But it doesn't seem as strong as the one leaking oil. Replaced with a K03 same as old one and there are no modes on this car ..as of yet. It's my understanding that when working with the cams there is a zero tolerance for mistakes or the valves get bent. And that would be very noticeable right. The SAI sounds like a plane taking of for a little bit and the idle is a little faster but smooth..as soon as it stops the massive V8 cam idle begins .I hope I gave enough info i just want to get it fixed ..thanks
Dana

1 - 1 of 1 Posts