VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this next year I plan on upgrading my facotry turbo and want to see what is available. A friend told me about the Neuspeed ko4, it raises HP to 240. It costs around 2 g's. Monesy not so much an issue cuz i dont want to F* up my car you know? Please tell me what you all think about the Neuspeed and give me some more options to resesrch please.

Also one more question. I dont have ANYTHING done under the hood yet. Is it pointess to do an upgrade w/o an exhaust or intake or whatnot? I plan on getting those 2.

Thanx in advance.

~Travis

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Def don't do the Neuspeed one. I would looked towards the APR Stg 3 turbo or do a custom set up. I know big dong is planning on upgrading his soon that's going to be custom.
jon

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
apr stage 3!!! get that everyone loves it and i've heard of very little problems. plus it puts out more power than the k04.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow when i said moneys not an issue I didnt think they would be as high as 4 g's. lol. Is it REALLY worth 4 gs for the APR stage 3? Does anyone have any quater mile times with one of these?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The APR kit is the way to go, without question. APR stands behind their products 100%. I believe the full Stage 3 kit brings you to 296 HP...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe with a APR stage 3 you prob could hit mid 13's? Just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
First of all, I would leave your car stock and save for the turbo kit from the beginning. I wish I would have done this myself, I wasted tons of money on bolt on parts now and would have had a stage III kit of some sort by now if I would have just saved from the beginning.

Second of all.......DO NOT BUY A K04 KIT! Huge waste of $$$, for $2k, you can buy a ATP stage II setup with a GT28 turbo (almost identical as the APR Stage III turbo) and have much more potential if you keep buying more stuff for it. Chris that used to work at AWE has now dynoed almost similar numbers as the APR Stage III on his ATP Stage II kit with some extra $$$ and tweaking. Plus K04 are notorious for blowing very early, they are not a very durable turbo.

OK, In my humble opinion, the APR kit is probably not gonna be the best bargain even if you really need a out of the box kit with no issues. I do like APR, I actually have their K03 software, but $4k for the kit w/ no intercooler and no further upgrade path is a bit salty for my tastes. Average dyno numbers at the wheel w/ APR STGIII are around 260-275whp on their 93 octane file and 290-300whp on 104 octane depending on what gear they are dynoed in, correction factor applied, etc.

In my opinion, the new kit from Dubwerks (spell?) is going to be very promising. It will come with GIAC programming and I am guessing will be close to 300whp on 93 octane strait out of the box. I guarantee that if GIAC is gonna slap their name on the kit, it is going to be a solid kit w/ excellent reliability and support after the purchase. It is supposed to be released any day now, and I expect pricing to be the same or close to the APR Stage III.

My favorite option however is to go custom. You can go out and buy the following stuff, and pretty much make your own setup. If you want to go on a budget, go with a 50 trimmed T3/T4E for around $600 or if you want boost a bit earlier, go with the GT28RS which is around $1300.

Turbo (GT28RS or .50 T3/T4E) - $1300 or $600
External Wastegate - $250
Oil Feed Lines - $50
Oil Return Lines - $50
Downpipe + Strait Pipe - $250
Custom Inlet Pipe - $100
Exhaust Manifold - $250-$400
VR6 MAF Housing - $100
440 CC Injectors - $250
Greddy FMIC - $700
Diode to clamp MAP - 10 cents
Adjustable FPR - $130
Fuel Pump - $250
(optional) Elec. Boost Controller - $150-$200

I am sure there are a few more things that I am missing, but this is the majority of the list and approximate pricing. Plus you would want to add about 4-5 hours of private dyno time to tune the thing, so figure $300 for that.

With this list, the T3/T4e setup would get you around 330-350whp for approx. $3600-$4000 with an intercooler, and the GT28RS would get you 350+whp for a bit more than $4000 with an intercooler.

My vote is custom....it isn't as hard as most VW people think. There is a wealth of info out there on how to do this stuff, the only downside of the VW tuner crowd is that they think they are pioneering this stuff when in all reality Mopar, Honda, DSM and other tuners have been doing the same types of tuning and pulling the same tricks for 10+ years.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:

APR Stage III gives 338hp/325lb-ft on 100 Octane

1/4 - 12.6

Read all your little heart desires here: http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/stage3_trans.html

[ January 02, 2004: Message edited by: db ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This car is a freak.......lol. These numbers are much hgher than most people experience and I believe the car was dynoed in third gear which will always give higher numbers. 4th gear dynoes are much more accurate as they are the closest to a 1:1 ratio in our cars. I also have only heard of like 2 cars with this being one of them that has gone 12.xx on APR Stage III, and this guy did it on slicks. Very few people have trapped higher than 110mph in the 1/4 with APR Stage III. I am not discounting the kit, as it is a great kit but the nubmers and info shown on their website are a bit optimistic.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I think you're right Big Dong. Also, if you go custom you know a whole lot more about what you are doing to your car as well.

So, Big Dong, any plans for a how-to post? Please...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I should have gone performance over looks first as well, but I am not sorry, as I don't race my car.

Instead I get nice looks from chicks in bikinis. (1 month in a year cause this is CANADA)
LMAO

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I should have gone performance over looks first as well, but I am not sorry, as I don't race my car.

Instead I get nice looks from chicks in bikinis. (1 month in a year cause this is CANADA)
LMAO

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: TF242 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hahah thats some funny stuff Thomas!! And listen to Big Dong. as he is a huge wealth of infomation. I chatted with him for about an hour and a half about turbos a while back. He gave me a long explanation of what different types of turbos do, and how they work, and what is better. He's a walking/talking wealth of info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts