VW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 2003 1.8t jetta, last week i started having a problem on startup with it. i got in and tried to start it but it just turned over and wouldnt start. so i pumped the pedal a little next time and it fired right up and ran fine. the next day the same thing happened a couple times. the next day the same thing, and so on and so forth. once running however there were no problems, even at idle it runs smooth. today the car just wont start though. its been happening when the car is parked uphill, downhill or on flat ground. any ideas what it could be? any suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Sounds to me that it gets flooded...

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
sounds like you have shit in the tank.. covering the pick up tube for the fuel line to the motor. just enough that it creates a partial block and giving it a hard time starting / uphill. and probably only sloshes right when the car is on a hill.

the other thing to check is the fuel filter.
can you hear the fuel pump purge? could also be a dieing pump.

lastly.. double check that you have spark. a spark issue can cause this..
when did you change plugs / coil packs last?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Maybe a leaky injector flooding the car out? He said pumping it made it start. I don't know if these cars have a fuel cut off switch built into the pedal or not. If they do maybe he cut off the fuel and it started.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im officially stumped. Any electrical wizards out there?? Alright so i started looking into what was going on here a bit more and realized i couldnt hear the fuel pump when i turned the key on. First i checked the fuel pump fuse and it was fine. Then i checked for power at the fuel pump connector and there was nothing. Then i checked for power at the fuel pump fuse (F28) and still nothing. Then i checked the ground circuit off the connector and all was good. So after this i thought the problem had to be the fuel pump relay. I went out and bought a new one today and plugged it in but unfortunately, not that easy.

I attached a copy of the wiring diagram i was going off, (hopefully it shows up)
and as you can see, along the way from the fuel pump relay to the fuel pump there are 3 other fuses and their associated components which get power from that relay. The other 3 are the fuel injectors (F32), and two others for engine management (F34) and (F43). With the new relay in place i checked for voltage while turning the key on at all 4 fuses mentioned, and i read the same at all of the fuses besides F32. At fuse 32 i read no voltage , about 0.004, and it didn't change at all with the turning of the key. At the other 3 however i read 1.8v and it would drop slightly while turning the key on. And finally at the fuel pump connector i read about 1.8v again, but when i turned the key on it would jump to 12.5v for a split second before dropping back down to 1.8.

I decided i would take a look at the injectors and see if everything looked alright, and i couldn't find any issues. No shorts to ground.

A couple things i find strange about all this is that while i was reading 1.8 volts at the 3 fuses and the connector, the key was out. Should there be any voltage at all without the relay making contact? Also i was only reading 12.5 volts for that split second at the connector, nowhere else. Another thing i find odd is that for the last week it was an intermittent problem so whatever it is it came and went.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oook, got it figured out, and i feel like an idiot.. It was the pump all along, must have been stuck in a dead spot. I was so concentrated on the weird voltage readings that i over looked the obvious stuff! Now i see why i wasnt getting any voltage there.. Anyway thanks for the help guys. At least i learned a thing or two about the car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oook, got it figured out, and i feel like an idiot.. It was the pump all along, must have been stuck in a dead spot. I was so concentrated on the weird voltage readings that i over looked the obvious stuff! Now i see why i wasnt getting any voltage there.. Anyway thanks for the help guys. At least i learned a thing or two about the car!
Was it the fuel pump I am having the same issue after 16 years of having my GLI

1 - 10 of 10 Posts