VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does 116 sound to much to have the plugs changed? they said about 1.4 hours labor.

i've got 41000 miles on it 2.0L golf

i asked if they sell the spark plug removal tool....no

just curious what others have paid
thanks

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
VR6, NGK's cost me $55. I had them throw them in at Shine when I was getting my chip cause my tools are in storagae. Cost me total of $90, and I have 2 more plugs than you.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
1.5 hours is a usual dealership rate to change the plugs...at the very least its going to be an hour. Depending on the shop labor rate, thats over a hundred bucks, or damn close.

The spark plug tool you need is T10029, and you can get it from your VW Parts Dept. If they won't sell you one, and there are no other dealers nearby (you can also try Audi dealers), hit up Ebay...they sell an equivalent tool that will do the job.

I know the plugs usually get sold for around $10 a plug...see if your auto parts store carries a good plug, buy the tool, and do it yourself. For a 2.0, I highly recommend the use of a 3/8 ratchet, 12" locking extension, and a 5/8 swivel spark plug socket...that combo works the best for me at work.

Good luck with whatever way you decide to do this.

·
Registered
777 Posts
carson how hard is it to change our VR6 belts? ive got a squeek thats getting annoying....

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Its pretty straightforward, Marcus. You need a long bolt (I think its M10 something)..simply screw the bolt into the tensioner, remove all tension from the belt, and remove it. Install is reverse of removal. It also helps to take your lower engine covers off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
JUST TOOK MY VR6 JETTA IN FOR ITS 40,000
MILE SERVICE...I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR DEALER CHARGES BUT MINE CHARGES $76/HOUR...
MY PLUGS RAN ME $13/PLUG...DID MY SERPENTINE BELT FOR $130....HEY IT'S FREAKIN COLD OUTSIDE...FUHGEDABOUTIT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts