VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1998 jetta glx vr6 to sears point raceway and got it timed on a 1/4 mile and i ran a 17.35, 17.23, and a 16.93 when i got my reaction time down. My car is all stock with 17's. What i wanted to know when i get an intake, how much faster will it make it? carbonio intake is already being shipped.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
hardly any faster. few hundredths mabye...
Post your slip or the numbers up, those numbers seem low. what was your trap speed?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EastCoastDubz420:
you should at least see 15's<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The intake will probably knock off 1/10th of a second.

General rule 100hp = 1sec, 100lbs = 1/10sec. So to go a second faster you either need to make the car 1000lbs lighter or, or make 100 more hp. This is usually off, but gives you an idea of what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by richvr6:
I took my 1998 jetta glx vr6 to sears point raceway and got it timed on a 1/4 mile and i ran a 17.35, 17.23, and a 16.93 when i got my reaction time down. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

those times seem quite slow... i have ran faster than that.... at englishtown i did a 15.6 with what i think is a mild amout of engine work.... but i know i'm not quicker than a vr6!

·
Registered
131 Posts
16.9 with a stock glx? hmm something isnt right. how were the elements? was the track slick or sticky? i ran a 15.3 stock..... and mine is only about 300 pounds lighter or so...

and i dont know if i would say 100 hp= 1 second less. a turboed, non intercooled VR will drop a second in the quarter with only gaining maybe 70 hp.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
As Aaron said:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
General rule
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> This is usually off, but gives you an idea of what you're dealing with.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to be anal, and your a complete idiot if you turbo a VR without an Intercooler...

·
Registered
131 Posts
yes i understand that that is the general rule. im just piping in saying from what i know. my friend had a corrado with intake exhaust chip and few other little things that ran a 14.8. then he turboed it, without an intercooler. he had it on for several years and ran a 13.7.... now the turbo and engine is in another car, (a2 jetta) still not intercooled. as long as you have strong compression and keep the boost pretty low, you should be fine. that turbo and engine have been running without problems for i think over 4 years now. o and he is not an idiot, he is making a 3.0L TT corrado... he is not an idiot...

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
I saw that engine project on the Tex`.
I bet you hes gonna run a massive IC on the TT tho. After investing all that money into a turbo, I am saying it is stupid to not get an Intercooler as a little insurance. Plus it alows you to turn up the boost and get some more power out of it. Your friend def. isn't an idiot, but I think if your going to spend the money to turbo something, do it right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
yea on his previous car, no intercooler. didnt need it, wasnt running too much power. but now he is doing two air to water intercoolers. the pips are coming from each side of turbo, where each one will have an intercooler. then will meet right before the intake manifold. he needs an intercooler now for the best power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts