VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a stupid question, but could I use the 16" spare on my car if I would have 17s on the other wheels? or would I have to get a 17" spare? And does a 17" tire/wheel fit in the spare "hole" in the gti? Last time I looked, it was a tight fit for the 16" tire. Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
even with small tires my 17s are larger in total size than my stock 14s, just a little. i have to over inflate the spare to come close to being the ssame size, so just put them up next too each other off the car to see how much diff. there is. o-yeah my 5th 17 wont fit in the spare compartment, stupid compact spares!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so can I use my full size spare(16") if I have 17s on my car? if one of the 17" tires would have go flat, would it be safe for me to temporarily use that full-size 16" spare? thanks. oh btw, this is post #200 for me. yeh!
sorry 201

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
As long as the outside diameter is the same, you should be able to use it. Even if it is a little off, if you dont drive far on it it will be ok. As for the spare wheel well in the back... I have noticed that the stock 16" on my GTI wont fit in there quite right, only the spare will, so I guess it has to do with the shape of the actual wheel more than the size

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
You can use it till you get your other rim back .It may steer a little different .

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
thats correct, but the car will pull towards the spare a little.

I personally love to see the mexican trucks down here, that went and got the 14" Daytons, and then had a flat, so they put the 16"spare with the high sidewall on, and that corner is like 8" higher than the other three. Now thats classy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts