VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting for a VR6 to place in my 92 A2 Jetta, however I notice 16valve engines from the passats are readily available.Would a 16valve engine from a automatic passat work in a 5speed jetta?

·
Registered
526 Posts
yes it will...most transmissions if not all of them will fit on any on the vw engines but you might need a setup like a 16v pressure plate and an 8v clutch

·
Registered
11 Posts
id say go for it! keep it digifant injection and get a fuel rail. also pick up a 1.8 head if you can source one for cheap. they flow better than stock 2.0 16v heads. might as well get a lightened flywheel and i nice clutch while the engine is out of the car before you put the tranny on it

·
Registered
140 Posts
How hard would it be to put one of those motors in a Jetta with CIS??

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bubba:
How hard would it be to put one of those motors in a Jetta with CIS??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CIS... or CIS-E? Easy... really easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i dont know how hard it is to swap to cis, but cis-e isnt a problem...so im assuming that the same is true for cis, just without the knock box and electronic fuel adjustmnent ontop the cis-e airbox. plug-and-play with no delay.... easy as pie. we just did the 16v swap in my 86 gti, and all together it took us maybe a total of 6hours to get it running(this was over a few weeks due to me being too lazy to work on it alone)then maybe anoyuther fuel hrs working n gettin some of the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys. I would like to place a 16v in my car however I would like to do it myself. I am constantly told it is a big job because, I am going from digifant to cis. I notice the terms cis and cis e being used.Explain the difference please. What exactly would I need to get when buying a 16v engine to replace my 8v digifant. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2820359&uid=1478411&members=1

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zigzag1:
Hi guys. I would like to place a 16v in my car however I would like to do it myself. I am constantly told it is a big job because, I am going from digifant to cis. I notice the terms cis and cis e being used.Explain the difference please. What exactly would I need to get when buying a 16v engine to replace my 8v digifant. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=2820359&uid=1478411&members=1
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CIS is the system that came in VWs '85 and earlier, CIS-E is the system that was used in '86 and later cars and all 1.8L 16vs. 2L 16vs (All Passats) used CIS Motronic, which was VWs half assed try at not entering into the real fuel injection field. CIS motronic is the best system to use if you can get it, but CIS-E works fine.

As far as the parts to do digi to cis-e... there's a lot of them. Starting with the fuel pump and its housing, the plasic fuel lines that run from the pump to the front, the complete injection system, and wiring harness.

That's really the short list. Wiring is not that difficult really, and some of the parts you need can be sourced from an 86-87 Golf or Jetta 8v. Most will have to come from the 16v car. In the past I've mentioned doing the swap with the digifant system still in place and buying a fuel rail to use it on the 16v. I've seen it done before, and it does work. How well I don't know.

I suggested doing the swap like this to 89jettawolfs, and I think he did some research, so maybe he can chime in a little as he's probably learned something on the subject.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fourt1thirty:
CIS is the system that came in VWs '85 and earlier, CIS-E is the system that was used in '86 and later cars and all 1.8L 16vs. 2L 16vs (All Passats) used CIS Motronic, which was VWs half assed try at not entering into the real fuel injection field. CIS motronic is the best system to use if you can get it, but CIS-E works fine.

As far as the parts to do digi to cis-e... there's a lot of them. Starting with the fuel pump and its housing, the plasic fuel lines that run from the pump to the front, the complete injection system, and wiring harness.

That's really the short list. Wiring is not that difficult really, and some of the parts you need can be sourced from an 86-87 Golf or Jetta 8v. Most will have to come from the 16v car. In the past I've mentioned doing the swap with the digifant system still in place and buying a fuel rail to use it on the 16v. I've seen it done before, and it does work. How well I don't know.

I suggested doing the swap like this to 89jettawolfs, and I think he did some research, so maybe he can chime in a little as he's probably learned something on the subject.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm doing a digi 16v. I might have sourced a 2L passat engine. but not 100% yet. I've been doing some reserach but so far havn'e learned much. Most people i find have swapped digi onto there already motronic or cis e car. so they're using a combo of the 2. as soon as i find smone who's doen it with a already digi car i'll let you know. And also i see a lot of people with idle problems. so not sure how well it'll work but screw it I'm doing it anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts