VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.
i have a 71 type 1 1600 cc stock motor..things i did before this problem occured..i put all new gaskets on..set points..adjusted vavles..set timeing new plugs and wires..
now after putting motor back in car would not idle and it would drive fine in town but got it on the highway and the car started slowing down..when i pulled over the motor was way to hot..couldnt even touch the dip stick for the oil.. after it cooled down i still had the right amount of oil..no leaks...
this was the reason for the removal and gasket kit before...im at a loss..anyone have any ideas on where to start to look for the problem..

thank you for your time

·
Registered
366 Posts
welcome. How far did you tear down the engine:confused: Did you pull off the heads? Are you sure you put on all the sheet metal? Did you pull off the oil cooler? Seal around engine in good shape? Advance working properly?
These are just a few things that come to mind. It was OK before you pulled the engine? You have had the car on the road before to verify it was cooling OK?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome. How far did you tear down the engine:confused: Did you pull off the heads? Are you sure you put on all the sheet metal? Did you pull off the oil cooler? Seal around engine in good shape? Advance working properly?
These are just a few things that come to mind. It was OK before you pulled the engine? You have had the car on the road before to verify it was cooling OK?
it got hot and slowed down and died after i bought it..so i did all that..the oil cooler seals were junk put new ones on..i took the heads off..reseated the vavles...not all the sheet metal got put back on cause they were not in great shape..seen some engine bays that were open with no sheilds and thought it would be ok ..and are you talking choke advance?

·
Registered
366 Posts
not all the sheet metal got put back on cause they were not in great shape..seen some engine bays that were open with no sheilds and thought it would be ok ..and are you talking choke advance?
All the original sheet metal needs to be in place for optimum cooling. Does it have the deflectors on under neath the jugs? Are you sure you installed the right oil cooler seals? I was talking of vacuum advance on the dist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the original sheet metal needs to be in place for optimum cooling. Does it have the deflectors on under neath the jugs? Are you sure you installed the right oil cooler seals? I was talking of vacuum advance on the dist.
no it didnt have any deflectors under the jugs..only tin on it was over the muffler and over the jugs and heads.. i matched up the oil cooler seals before i put them in..im pretty sure there were the right ones..the gasket kit had 3 different ones..i got the ones that best matched..on the dizzy there is no vac. advance..

·
Registered
366 Posts
so did you put any deflectors under the jugs:confused: If you don't have a Bentley manual you need to get one. They are the best source for keeping your car going and lots of info,pics, diagrams for sorting out your car;)
Even if it doesn't have a vac adv. does the advance work(mechanical)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so did you put any deflectors under the jugs:confused: If you don't have a Bentley manual you need to get one. They are the best source for keeping your car going and lots of info,pics, diagrams for sorting out your car;)
Even if it doesn't have a vac adv. does the advance work(mechanical)?
no i didnt..i have a chiltons manual..yes the mechanical advance works...could the oil releaf valve not be funtioning right? and with this motor is there any way to find out the oil pressure to see if the pump is working?

·
Registered
366 Posts
you can pull off the oil pressure switch and put in a gauge in it's place. Pull out the oil pressure relief valves and make sure they move up and down the bore freely. Till you get all the sheet metal installed(including the deflectors under the jugs~ real critical) you are chasing yourself around a circle;-) Get a Bentley and see what tin you are missing, source it out and put it all on.:K:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can pull off the oil pressure switch and put in a gauge in it's place. Pull out the oil pressure relief valves and make sure they move up and down the bore freely. Till you get all the sheet metal installed(including the deflectors under the jugs~ real critical) you are chasing yourself around a circle;-) Get a Bentley and see what tin you are missing, source it out and put it all on.:K:
ok thanks for the info. i will look online for the propper sheild that it is missing..thanks for the quick replies..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get all the tins in place, even the lower ones. Also make sure your belt isn't slipping (on a stocker you have likely never chucked a belt due to overrev but still doesn't hurt to check) if you have ever chucked the belt it must be replaced. Make sure your timing advance is set correctly (32 BTDC degrees iirc for an 009 or SVDA)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts