VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read some place online about a 16v fox. is there someone that makes a special exhaust manifold for it or do u have to custom make it. i was thinking a audi 80 manifold but i wasnt sure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know of a good place to buy parts for a 92 fox? A friend of mine needs to replace a headlight and cannot find parts anywhere! Even when we went to Waterfest, no one really had any parts for a Fox...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
They made B series cars with a 16v in them, but not in the US. Maybe you could cut down an Audi 20v manifold or header.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow. Finding this thread was random... As far as i know mine is the only 16v swap in progress at the moment. There's definatly been other 16v Fox's in the past but from photos they seem to have been done differently than mine, which maintains the original Fox mounts, subframe etc. I've tried to make the swap as straight forward and easy to duplicate as possible, but as the project goes on, it's getting harder and harder to keep simple..

There's a pretty big post on the Fox forum on Vortex, and when i've got a little further i'll put all the info up on my website.

here's a basic list of what's involved :

::engine mounts go on fine...
::You need a custom exhaust from the 16v mani back.
::You need the fox 8v flywheel, clutch etc
::You need the 8v oil-pan
::You need the 8v oil-filter assembly
::You need new fuel-injector hoses / air-intake lines etc.
::You need to mount the radiator somewhere else/build a custom one.
::You need to modify your old injection system (no knock sensor etc on foxs), install the system from the donor car, or bulid your own system. Or carb it.
::You need to cut out the battery tray and relocate the battery.
::You need to modify the hood *alot* to make it fit. Or you could drop the subframe down. Or you could make a whole new engine mount or find another car with a different style. NB: Using a scirocco manifold would make the clearence easier as it's lower to the engine.

I am using the complete wiring and engine from my '87 GTi, the radiator looks as though it's going to be a GTi rad mounted in a hollowed out custom front bumper as there just isn't the room in the engine bay anymore. The hood is currently angled but i will cut it and make a new bump to allow it to close. You'll want to upgrade the brakes too, i saw a nice fox with A1 Wilwood brakes on it but that's $800.. 16v Scirocco and GTi brakes fit, but if you swap the rears you need a new handbrake cable to match.

So there you go, a fair bit of work, by no-means impossible, but enough to make me scratch my head a few times during it.

[ August 24, 2003: Message edited by: the brit ]

[ August 24, 2003: Message edited by: the brit ]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The stock fox radiator should work fine. VW have overbuilt cooling systems.

And how about this. You heard of anyone running the passenger side header off an Audi A8 or S8? It's a 16v flange, and it puts the outlet right where it should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts