VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that they made mk3 16v's in europe but would it be possible to say ...put a passat or mk2 gti 16v motor into the mk3 platform. What sort of mods to the wiring etc would you have to do. Other than that it should be drop in yes?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Back-dating engines into cars is illegal. But it has been done.
An option is placing a 16v head on the ABA block.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? oh ya eh its for emissions reasons right. Thats kinda stupid how shit like that works but it makes sense. It wont stop me from doin it tho. j/k. Could you bolt the 16v head onto a 1.8 cl 8v? and would all the electronics match up?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You have an 86 so I'm not totally sure. Other members will be able to help you. I know it will bolt up, but I do not know about the wiring.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The head will bolt to the block but that's about it. You still need to change the intermediate shaft, pistons, timing gears, oil pump and gear and a few other things.

Doing all that and sticking with the CLs throttle body injection is really a waste.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well shit that kinda sucks. I dono ..what would you guys recommend. Im tryin to keep my buddy from sellin his dub and buyin a monte carlo so i wanna show em some good mods. The 16v seemed like the best idea but guess not. Some help please.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts