VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of putting a 16v in my bunny but not sure on what motor is better, 2.0 or 1.8. some say 2.0 some say 1.8 and some say 2.0 with 1.8 head. I was kind of leaning toward a 2.0 with a 1.8 head, I was told 1.8 head have bigger ports.

I also am not sure on the fuel system, I would like to change every thing to the right side for the air box and use everything out of a 90 2.0 with CIS. and I'm also wondering if I should change the fuel pump or can I use the stock rabbit pump. I'm new to 16v, I'm used to solid 8v but would like a rabbit to have sick top end. Any help would be good.
THANKS

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solidinside:
I was thinking of putting a 16v in my bunny but not sure on what motor is better, 2.0 or 1.8. some say 2.0 some say 1.8 and some say 2.0 with 1.8 head. I was kind of leaning toward a 2.0 with a 1.8 head, I was told 1.8 head have bigger ports.

I also am not sure on the fuel system, I would like to change every thing to the right side for the air box and use everything out of a 90 2.0 with CIS. and I'm also wondering if I should change the fuel pump or can I use the stock rabbit pump. I'm new to 16v, I'm used to solid 8v but would like a rabbit to have sick top end. Any help would be good.
THANKS
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most people use what they can get when it comes to 16vs. If you can find a 2L... use it, it's better, and the CIS-Motronic system that comes with it is better (although harder to install). Swapping to a 1.8L head isn't really worth it unless you're swapping heads anyways.

The hardest part about swapping the injection to the other side of the car is the fuel feed and return. I ran high pressure fuel line across the car from the stock fuel lines when I did my system, but I knew it was a temp setup. If I were you I'd try to adapt the MK2 plastic fuel lines from the back of the car to the front and just run them up to the passenger side. The Rabbit fuel pump will work fine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats good I was really thinking of the line anyway but I wasnt sure about the fuel pump. For the airbox and knock sensor is that easy to switch over or is it alot of splicing wires.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by solidinside:
thats good I was really thinking of the line anyway but I wasnt sure about the fuel pump. For the airbox and knock sensor is that easy to switch over or is it alot of splicing wires.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The injection has to be swapped out entirely. The cold start system that's already in your car must stay in the car, but everything else has to go. For CIS-E there's 3 main hookups. Power, ground, and tach signal, and you have to hook those up to existing systems within the car. For CIS-Motronic it's a bit more involved.

I generally will take the whole under hood harness from the donor car and sit down with the wiring diagram for it, and start stripping out the systems that don't need to be there. Things like the headlights, wiper, charcoal canister purge and such can all be removed. Usually it cuts the number of wires in half, and you'll find there aren't a lot of wires that need to be spliced into the car.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it worth it or should I build a nasty NA solid 8v, cause I was thinking of putting a 2.0 crank, punching it 30 over with the 144mm rods. I have an autotech 286 cam with titanium retainers and high rev valve springs sitting in my room for the last 2 years, my head is alreaady decked 20 thousands with a 3 angle valve job, and I was gonna use the autotech group a head gasket. Also I was gonna put a 16v scirocco feul box with knock sensor ignition. But I'm not sure what would be better. I would like alot more top speed with good low end but I don't think a 9a trans would cut it, I know it would be better than a 4k, but I would like to see around 150mph on the high way but would like it to be nasty at the track.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, my 83 gti has a F head and my 84 gti has a H head, what is the defference and which one do you think is better. The F head seems like it runs a little richer. Only thing I can see is that the F head doesn't have air shrouded injectors.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
So much so fast... lets cover as much as we can.

With the head you already have I would go find a self service wrecking yard and pull the pistons from an Audi 80 Quattro, 90,100 or 200 5cyl. They're high compression 82.5mm bore pistons that will make a 1.9L using your JHs stock crank and rods. With your decked head they'll make plenty of compression. Bore your block to 82.5mm and use a 2L 16v head gasket.

You're going to need to port your head, or have someone port it for you. Use whichever casting you want. Someone once told me the H casting is the one they use... I've never noticed a difference, and that guy ran a carb, so who knows. Your cam and the other parts you already have mixed with the 1.9L high comp bottom end will create a nice team.

I'd suggest a late Audi 4000 4cyl intake with an Audi 5cyl throttle body, and CIS-E injection (wiring harness and all) from 4000/Fox as it doesn't use an ISV. If you want a knock system stick with the 8v stuff from 86-87 as it has a better timing curve. Cut the RPM signal wire between the knock box and the fuel box and your rev limiter will be somewhere around 7300rpm.

I'd suggest a 4K or 2H trans with a 5th gear swap from a long ratio trans like an FF or an FN.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds good, I have a 4k 2h and a fk trans lying around so I'll use one of them. Also some told me to use a g60 intake because it has longer runners, which one do you think is better g60 or the audi 4000 like you mentioned

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
forgot to ask is that intake the same on any othe 2 cyl audi, if it is I pretty sure I seen one in a audi gt at the yard and I might just have to snag it

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The G60 intake is pretty much the same as the Audi one. The easiest way to tell if you're getting the right intake is make sure it has the throttle body opening that's the same size as the 5cyl/MK2 throttle body.

The only issue with mounting this intake is the cold start valve is in a different spot. But the G60 intake doesn't even have a spot for the cold start valve.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm.. looks like I have some hunting to do. shouldn't be a problem most people from where I live are in to hondas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts