VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys and gals. Can anyone tell me what is the real difference between the 180hp 1.8T and 150hp 1.8T. I used to think it was just the engine management system (Chip). But is the turbo bigger as well? I used to have a 2000 GTI 1.8T but when they came out with the 2002 1.8T GTI with all the new features and more power and ofcourse the lower interest rate i traded it in for the 2002.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Jon
So you think it is quite not a K04 but a hybrid. Well i am thinking of having a chip installed with a cooler but i am not sure. i dont race with my car but i just like to have the power. You know what i mean. Anybody else know anything about this
thanks
nav

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That's what i have read elsewhere. I would highley suggest getting a chip if you want me power!! I got the APR 93 and love it.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I belive the three major things changed was the ECU, a better exhaust, and i think they added a Hybrid turbo. Basicly the K03 with a K04 prop.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
Hey jon, do you have the flip switch or just the reg APR chip?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

flip switch with the stock program
jon

·
Registered
844 Posts
How often do you actually switch between the programs? I was wanting the flip switch, but I was like, you know, I really don't know if I would want that. After all, it's not like I go to the track on a regualar basis, and I don't go out on the weekends looking for street races. I would really just want to have the power there ALL the time. Oh well, it's not like I have to decide now or anything...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by V33dub_GTI:
How often do you actually switch between the programs? I was wanting the flip switch, but I was like, you know, I really don't know if I would want that. After all, it's not like I go to the track on a regualar basis, and I don't go out on the weekends looking for street races. I would really just want to have the power there ALL the time. Oh well, it's not like I have to decide now or anything...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well i switch it when the weather is bad, when the traffic is bad, when i go to the dealer, and when i when i think that i didn't have any power gains i switch to stock for a little while then go back to the 93 and feel the major diffrence!!

jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree Jon, I just sent my baby to the shop to get that it fixed. Some jerk backed into my front fender two weeks ago. I am definitely thinking of chiping as soon as i get it back. Do you know the difference between GIAC Programing and APR. which one is better. EVO Motorsport in town does the GIAC. Also i dont get the 93 octane fuel here in Arizona. That really sucks. Anyways what about the intercooler i am worried that i will over work my engine/turbo with the chip. What do you guys think of turbo timers. I need to find one. I agree about the flip switch. GIAC has a slotted piece and you can remove the chip when you send it to the dealer.
thanks
nav

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
well apr also has a 91 program for the people out west like you. their websites are www.goapr.com and www.giacusa.com i know giac just came out with a keychain remote to switch programs with. both are good chips. alot of times the selling point is "who is closer if something goes wrong". read up on both and see what you think.
jon

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jon
I think APR has more to offer. But GIAC does not seem to bad as well. Well I will have to do some more research. DO you have an intercooler?
thanks
nav

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I just have the tiny stock intercooler. By replacing the actual intercool won't give you any real gains in power, but it will help you keep your power as you run it hard. Make sense? If you are not planning on racing your car in either rally or drag, then i would just do the wheelwell mod to help the stock cooler stay cool. But if you have he money to get a new front mounted intercooler then go for it. they look badass and they won't hurt to have.
jon

ps: i just wanted to let you know this is what i have learned from reading diffrent articles, if someone else feels that i might be wrong, please chime in.

[ March 24, 2003: Message edited by: GTI2001 ]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jon
I was looking at the intercooler upgrade ABD, Forge and Evolution Motorsports have, they claim that the change in intercooler actually give you around 10 bhp gain. Which could be true taking that fact that cooler air is denser and the conbustion is heavier. I am not sure about warranty issues with Intercooler upgrade. So i think i will wait for another 20,000 miles which should be by next year. What were you saying about the wheelwell mod. How do you do that, i would like to know more about it. With That said i think that this topic is more about intercooler than 180 bhp Turbo. Anyways i have decided to go for the GIAC Chip upgrade and a forge diverter valve to hold more boost.
thanks Jon
Nav

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
No Problem, i'm sure you'll enjoy the new gaines from the chip!!!
Also the wheelwell mod is basicly putting vents into the front passanger side wheelwell, I've seen some people just drill holes like the swiss cheese mod on the airbox. The other's that i have seen was getting the TT vent that goes in there, cutting out the pattern and inserting the vent. I'll see if i can dig up any sites that have the How to's
Also, what program are you going to get?
jon

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey fli, isnt your 1.8t a 150hp car, man that sure didnt feel like only 150hp car up against that other gti (wont give away names as to protect the innocent)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
wow jon i never thought about that mod, please do get some how tos.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jon
I would definitely like to know how to. Like i said want to be able to put up to some of the Accords and Maxima's but man some of them are fast.
nav

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Im tellin ya, Its got some magic pixie dust on it or somethin!

It pulls a lot harder than I would expect from a 150 car. That little AWW block seems to have better programing, b/c I don't set off my CEL ever and I just get in and drive. To me, the 180 seems a little more finicky.

Personally, I just think that said other car has a driver lackin skillz.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Im tellin ya, Its got some magic pixie dust on it or somethin!

It pulls a lot harder than I would expect from a 150 car. That little AWW block seems to have better programing, b/c I don't set off my CEL ever and I just get in and drive. To me, the 180 seems a little more finicky.

Personally, I just think that said other car has a driver lackin skillz.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why do i feel like they are talking about you V33

jon

1 - 20 of 30 Posts