VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so its my friends car to start..

oil pan threads stripped, bought a NEW oil pan, drain plug, gasket.

installed new everything, by book.

tightened drain plug with new crush washer and oring.

torqued all oil pan bolts in star pattern. held fine for about 2 weeks.

now leaking out of back left corner of pan and oil drain plug..
any ideas???? if not.. i guess im dropping this damn oil pan again.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Only option I have - take the pan down again, replace the gasket once more. Run your hand around the oil pan housing (part of the motor) and see if there's and extra piece of gasket anywhere around there before you put the pan back. Sometimes a piece of the old gasket can get stuck, and you can double gasket something, and it will leak. As far as the drain plug, replace the rubber gasket around that also (like $0.10) at a hardware store. After so long, they tend to shrivel down a little and oil starts to leak.

Tighten all the bolts equally, and report back, let me know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep.. cleaned the pan surface.. new gasket.. new oil drain plug o ring.. once again.. leaking again.. checked pan for warped edge along motor.. everything seems straight.. put heli coil to fix old drain pan... put that on with another new gasket last night.. and that leaked.. grrrr..

·
Registered
368 Posts
wow..guess the car hates you :lol:

I had the same problem once, and cured it with my diagnostic (mentioned above) and it has worked every time. I don't see what could be wrong ? Maybe when you install the gasket it bends a little at an edge, and cause's it to leak ?
And the oil drain plugs sometimes can feel like there in all the way, but yet they still leak (happens in all the fords I work on :confused:)

I'm stumped, let me check out 1 of my books tomorrow, and get back to you :K:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My guess is the youve got warping or slightly disfigured metal. You probably ran over something that drove the Oil Pan intensely into the motor block. I have the same problem -the previous owner hit a boulder in Colorado that was atleast a foot tall.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks man.. cuz to be honest.. if it wasnt a mk1... id prolly have shoved a 1/4 stick in the gas cap.. and said sorry man. but this will fix it right up.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I know this is rough, but what about retapping the threads and doing a thicker liquid based gasket to acommodate any mis-shapeness?

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep.. =( hahaha i told him what i think we got to do. .and hes like fuck that.. ulrichs can do it =) hahaha so it just became someone elses headache.. hahaha hes like we are not dropping that damn thing again.. fuck it. hahhaa

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,441 Posts
hmmm. something has to be bent or you could you be over-tightening the bolts? when i did mine i just snugged them up. kinda like doing sparkplugs. it can only be a few things. maybe it has really oil pressure? when i start my scirocco the oil pressure gauge climbs to over 80 psi until it warms up. then it settles down to around 30-40 or so.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no idea.. got a new drain plug.. put teflon on it.. new gasket.. and squirted some gasket maker shit out of a tube.. and re tightened.. sealed now.. also new timing belt.. and timing seal.. its all buttoned up now.. i found another leak.. in addition to the pan.. it was that timing seal.. then we put on a new valve and head gasket.. i went a little over board.. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
As per my idea u gotwarping or slightly difigured metal.You may probably ran over something that drove the Oil Pan intensely into the the place of motor block. evan I have the same problem -the previous owner hit a boulder in Colorado and that was atleast a foot tall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too had my oil pan changed and it was leaking from drain plug. A new plug, i was so upset and just wanted to throw the car away. So in talking to my brother he said to use copper washer instead of that soft crap. He changes the copper washer on almost every oil change. So i listened but went a step further, I got copper washer, than on the thread of bolt, I put tape dope, the same tape plumbers put on pipes, and whoomp there it is, i never saw a frreakin drop ever again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yep.. cleaned the pan surface.. new gasket.. new oil drain plug o ring.. once again.. leaking again.. checked pan for warped edge along motor.. everything seems straight.. put heli coil to fix old drain pan... put that on with another new gasket last night.. and that leaked.. grrrr..

·
Registered
6 Posts
pan leak

The other thing to check is the front and rear seal carrier housings. If you clean gasket material out of there they will drive you crazy leaking. I put i little dab of black silicone RTV to cover the seam where the pan gasket sits. let it get so it is not sticky but not cured than install the pan with the gasket. also i have done with cork gaskets is spray adhesive the gasket tot he pan. spray the gasket (side that gors on the pan) and the pan, wait for it to cure stick them together and with the RTV you should be in good shape.
P.S. you should never use teflon tape/pipe tape/pipe dope on an internal combustion engine cause it can cause big problems in the oil system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts